GI pets

You're exactly right about a dog's resiliency. My little brown mini poodle

Lexie was my dear Aunt Mary's dog. She was 80 when she lost her dog Lacey

and was afraid she was too old to have another. I said "No way Aunt Mary!

You definately should have another dog!" and I promised her that if anything were

to happen to her - I'd take care of it.

Lexie was a year old when she got her from people who could no longer keep her.

She was such a fabulous loving companion for my Aunt! Whenever I'd go visit her

in Narragansett, she'd say to Lex: "Mary's comin today Lex!" and as soon as

I'd pull in the driveway, they'd both come out to greet me.

When she was 85, my wonderful Aunt was diagnosed with a glioblastoma - a very

aggressive brain tumor. We had hospice & also nurses so she could stay in her home & I drove back & forth to RI several times a week. One day, the nurse called me at work and

told me to come right way because my Aunt was totally unresponsive with low pulse

& respiration. I'll never forget walking into her room, my Aunt was lying there so still & pale and Lexie was lying on the pillow with her two front paws protectively covering the top of Aunt Mary's head.

Lex had a look of terror & distress on her face and I 'm

absolutely convinced that she knew where the tumor was.

I bent down & whispered: "I'm right here with you, Aunt Mary" and she immediately

opened her eyes, smiled & said " Hi Mary!". Well, the nurse was so startled she almost fell over and as soon as Lexie heard Aunt Mary's voice - she left her 'guard post" and

started wagging her tail. I think that my Aunt was able to hear my voice that day because of her love for me & mine for her.

When my Aunt died, there were many people who said that'd be glad to take Lexie,

but I couldn't do that. I'd never be sure that she'd be cared for as my Aunt would want.

I wasn't sure how I was gonna manage a dog, working full time, & taking care of my mother who was also ill - but I was determined to fulfill my promise.

What a blessing that little dog has been! She was a great companion to my mother. When I

left for work, I'd say: "Now, take care of Ma today, Lex" and she'd go over and sit next to

her. It was so sweet & amazing! My mother would always laugh & say: "She loves me, but

she's completely YOUR girl!" and I'd say "Yeah, but if Aunt Mary walked through the door

tomorrow - she'd drop us BOTH like a hot potato!".

Lex is now almost 13 & blind & she has health "issues". People would probably

think I'm crazy, but I spend all my available time with her - after work & weekends.

It's very very small recompense to her for all the love she'd given. I have an enormous dog

bed that I take outside with me & she sits on it like a Queen, feeling the breeze & the sunshine. I'm taking "one day at a time" with her, as long as she's not suffering & enjoying

her life - but I know you'll understand completely when I say I can't help but look at her

& feel the dread of losing her. :unsure:

They are such wonderful creatures! How can anyone not love them? That's why

I'd like to get ahold of the Michael Vicks of the world & say: "Sit down in this chair and

LET ME PLUG IT IN!!!! ":armata_PDT_19:

Messages In This Thread
GI pets - by 206thmpco - 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
GI pets - by Dogdaddy - 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM
GI pets - by Walt's Daughter - 08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
GI pets - by Walt's Daughter - 08-29-2007, 09:40 PM
GI pets - by chambers - 08-30-2007, 06:34 AM
GI pets - by Dogdaddy - 08-30-2007, 10:11 AM
GI pets - by 206thmpco - 08-30-2007, 01:00 PM
GI pets - by Walt's Daughter - 08-30-2007, 03:36 PM
GI pets - by Dogdaddy - 08-31-2007, 12:34 AM
GI pets - by 206thmpco - 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM