Engineres de la Guarde

During the Napoleonic Wars and earlier, the European armies had designated a special soldier called a sapper, who carried an axe to clear roads through heavy woods. Later, engineers were added, who were more specialized troops that could build bridges and observation towers.

The Imperial Guard were the special fighting soldiers that protected Napoleon and his palaces. The Imperial Guard did not have any Engineers. After a fire in his palace in 1807 (I believe), a decree was issued to organize the Engineers of the Guard.

They wore a very similiar uniform as the Foot Artillery of the Guard: blue coat with long tails in red and red turnbacks and black lapels. Usually, they wore black leggings. But instead of a bearskin fur cap, the Engineers of the Guard wore an unusual steel helmet with a black crest. (Cavalry wore either bronze helmets or steel helmets with horse hair "tails").

The Engineers of the Guard were a small unit and in the field, they usually built observation towers for Napoleon to view the battle.

See this link for more history.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/jmurat/uniformi/geniere1.htm

Actual photo of Engineers of the Line(not the Guard). The Engineers of the Line wore a shako hat, similiar to the Artillery of the Line. These photos are the only surviving images of veterans of the Grande Armée and the Guard actually wearing their original uniforms and insignia they wore in 1815 Waterloo Campaign.

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/University...ans/Lefebre.jpg

Steve:

Somehow I can't picture my dad in any of those uniforms! :lol:

But seriously, thanks for sharing with our viewers a little of the engineer history. Good stuff. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Steve ,

Good to see you over here ! I have been reading a great deal about the Napoleonic Era lately. Thanks for the site.

Keep up the good work !

Jiggersfromsphilly

I have been reading a great deal about the Napoleonic Era lately.

Great. Hope you found some good books. I have not read much about it in a long time.

I was interested in the uniforms and such a little bit. Then "War and Peace" came out in the local theater---hmmm about 1970. I took a buddy with me to see it who could help ID the uniforms and tell me who was on whose side. We went one night to view Part 1 --- 3-1/2 hours and then went back the next night for Part 2---3-1/2 hours. That movie really stirred my interest.

I began painting 54mm figures and collecting books on their uniforms. But I never really studied all the battles in great detail as I should have.

Steve

I guesss I missed this posting. I think there is just about enough material on this site to fill a library.

Well anyway, I think Steve can get me started on this one. I had another ancestor that was also a combat engineer. His name was Leonard Robertson and served with His Magesty's 17th Regiment of Sappers and Miners with Wellington. he was from Funblane Scotland.

I havent found much about the regiment on the internet anddont know much more than what i've said here

Chris

Don't feel bad about missing it! As this forum and site grow, it's sometimes hard to keep up. One of my dear vets just wrote to me this week and exclaimed, "Your site has grown so large in the last year, that sometimes I am not sure how to get around." :D That's one of the reasons I strongly urge people to use GOOD SUBJECT TITLES!

Well glad you found this post and I'm sure Steve will be delighted to help you out! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"