Question on how to display your medals

Received this question from a reader and pj wants to know the following:

Hi Marion -

If you do have time to answer I'd appreciate it - my father served in the Ist Infantry Division in WW2 and I am recently having a display case made for his awards and metals - I noticed in one of the posts on your website that the EIB and CIB are not related - my father had the EIB and two CIBs - I was just told that I shouldn't display them both because it would be redundant -- any thoughts on that? thanks, pj lamp

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I wonder why you can't display both EIB and CIB together????

If he earned those, then it would be nice displaying them together with ribbons, medals, marksman badges, etc.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Ow, it would be great if he could post info on this Big Red One soldier.

Where did he serve? D-Day? Bulge? Unit? etc. (Yep, I'm curious, hehe :lol: )

Erwin

Btw, the CIB differs from the EIB because this one you earned when in a combat situation in the Infantry (hence the "Combat").

The Expert Infantryman Badge, or EIB, is a military badge of the United States Army. It is the non-combat equivalent to the Combat Infantryman Badge. The primary difference between the decorations is the Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) is awarded for participation in infantry ground combat, while the Expert Infantryman Badge is presented for completion of an approved Army course of testing.

The EIB was first created in October 1943. It is awarded to U.S. Army personnel who hold infantry or special forces military occupational specialities. To be awarded the EIB, the service member must complete a testing phase which is the culmination of weeks of training, leading to a final evaluation period. The EIB test is administered on the average once per year with pass rates averaging no more than 50 percent, depending on the unit conducting testing. Due to the rigid testing procedures, many holders of the EIB value it more than the CIB.

Personnel who have been awarded both the EIB and the CIB are not authorized to wear both decorations simultaneously. In such cases, the CIB has precedence according to Army Regulation 670-1.

A similar decoration exists for medical personnel, known as the Expert Field Medical Badge.

The above speaks about WEARING, not display cases.

============

I'm sure we'll find out more about the gentleman in question, and we'll hopefully have him post the info in another section when we get him to join! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
BTW, for clarification he was asking about displaying the TWO CIB's. He wasn't asking if he should display the EIB and CIB.
Marion J Chard

Ok, got it mixed up, sorry. :banghead:

But if I would have 2 CIBs from the same person, I'd display them both.

The CIB I have is on the 4-pocket uniform I have from my American Veteran friend, together with all the ribbons and collar discs and patch (26th ID).

Erwin

I wonder why you can't display both EIB and CIB together????

If he earned those, then it would be nice displaying them together with ribbons, medals, marksman badges, etc.

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Ow, it would be great if he could post info on this Big Red One soldier.

Where did he serve? D-Day? Bulge? Unit? etc. (Yep, I'm curious, hehe :lol: )

Erwin

Btw, the CIB differs from the EIB because this one you earned when in a combat situation in the Infantry (hence the "Combat").

jeeper

I tried to send info to you about his service - two silvers, a bronze, two purples and EIB CIB - did you receive my reply? I don't know if I'm replying correctly. My first experience with forum.

Tigerkat

Hello,

I received your reply and replied to it (what a sentence :banghead: ).

Two Silver Stars???

Wow, do you know by any chance how he earned them?

It would be interesting to know as I explained in my reply.

I'm sure Marion would love hearing this too. :pdt34:

Erwin

jeeper

I tried to send info to you about his service - two silvers, a bronze, two purples and EIB CIB - did you receive my reply? I don't know if I'm replying correctly. My first experience with forum.

Tigerkat

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VA urges vets to wear medals on Vets Day Walt's Daughter 4 6,024 11-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter