't Ros Beiaard (Bayard Steed)

Since Véronique asked where I live and since I spoke of the Bayard Steed; I explain here what it is all about.

The Ros Beiaard procession has its origins in a medieval legend of four orphans. Beiaard is a wooden horse of gigantic proportions which arouses tremendous interest as it is carried through Dendermonde by a guild of bearers. The procession is only held once every ten years, which is why every procession is a veritable celebration and taking leave of the horse invariably proves to be very hard to do. Beiaard the horse and the three giants of Dendermonde feature on the UNESCO world heritage list.

ROS BEIAARD

The myth of a special horse

The myth of the ‘Ros Beiaard’ and the four Heemskinderen dates back to medieval literature. It was spread around most parts of Europe. Singers, city tales and parades made everybody familiar with the universal epic tale. The content deals with the problem that feudalism was in those days. Therefore, the story goes back to the period of Charles Quint, emperor of the Sacred Roman Empire.

Aymon, Lord of Dendermonde, had a quarrel with King Karel. In an attempt to reconciliate the feudal lord and his vassal, King Karel granted his permission for the wedding of his sister Aye and Aymon. Aye gave birth to 4 sons: Ritsaert, Writsaert, Adelaert and Reinout. They were each knighted by their father and received, as the tradition prescribed, a horse. Reinout nevertheless was so powerful that he killed his horse with a single blow of his fist. Two other horses were offered to him but none could meet Reinout’s power, but every knight had to have a horse! Lord Aymon however gave his counsel. He took Reinout to a fortress where the ‘Ros Beiaard’, a horse everybody feared greatly, was being locked up. After a heroic fight, the wonderful horse was subjected by Reinout. From now on ‘Ros Beiaard’ obeyed every command of Reinout.

Lodewijk, King Karel’s jealous son, laid his claim on the horse and challenged Reinout to a game of chess with the loser’s head as ‘reward’. Lodewijk lost and Reinout beheaded him with a single blow of his sword. Seated on the back of the ‘Ros Beiaard’ they fled from their uncle King Karel who wanted to avenge the loss of his son.

Travelling through Spain they ended up in France. From Castle Montalbaen, the Four Heemskinderen defended themselves against the armies of King Karel. Our brave knights were able to escape from the stranglehold of King Karel. Accompanied by the wizard Malegijs and the civilians of Montalbaen they kept on running to Dinant, where the ‘Ros Beiaard’ jumped across the Maas. Yet due to the force of the jump, a piece of rock got torn of the hill and fell in the river. ‘Le Rocher Bayard’ still stands in the river.

Our knights realised the unfair situation and returned to the parental residence in Dendermonde. They met their crying mother Aye who told them their father Aymon was being held captive by King Karel. She also realised that her sons awaited the same destiny. Therefore she begged on her knees for peace. The consequence was that Lord Aymon was set free, but as a compensation King Karel demanded the death of the ‘Ros Beiaard’. Concerned about his family, Reinout met the demands of King Karel. The ‘Ros Beiaard’ was transported to the mouth of the Dender where heavy millstones were wrapped around his neck and he was forced to step in the water. Twice the ‘Ros Beiaard was able to demolish the stones and it swam back to the shore where Reinout, his master, was standing. With a broken heart, Reinout was forced to watch the lugubrious spectacle.

The third time, despite the heavier millstones, the ‘Ros Beiaard’ managed to return to the surface, but Reinaert could not look at this scene any longer and turned his head. When the ‘Ros Beiaard’ saw this, it didn’t want to live anymore and drowned.

Even now, the ‘Ros Beiaard’ remains in the heart of every citizen of Dendermonde. Once in a decade, the ‘Ros Beiaard’ makes his victory march through the city centre of Dendermonde.

RosBeiaard1.jpg

Eh no, it ain't the Trojan Horse! :banghead::pdt12:

Belfort_dendermonde.jpg

City Hall and Bellfry of Dendermonde.

Erwin

(I hope it is allowed to place stuff like this here, if not let me know and I'll remove it)

Hey, I remember watching a show regarding this about 6 months ago. It was really fascinating and it looked like the celebration was a heck of a lot of fun!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

People from all over Europe come to see it.

And there are a lot of people overcrowding the streets at that time.

You see all sorts of groups in traditional and medieval clothing.

Really cool! :armata_PDT_01:

I was born and raised in Dendermonde, so I'm quite proud of this city (NEVER call it a town!).

Traces of Roman occupation were found in the area, so we go back quite some time.

Erwin