Barracuda, the Bastogne Sherman Tank

11th

post-11-1163163681_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   2006_11_06_D_part_du_Sherman_130.JPG (Size: 71.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Here's what happened with the occupants .....(1944)

11th Armored Division, 41st Tank Battalion, Company B. This tank was knocked out of action the afternoon of December 30, 1944 on a farm near the village, Renuamont. It is a couple of miles west of Bastogne

Tank Driver, Andrew Urda, and the bow gunner, Ivan Goldstein, were taken prisoner and sent to a concentration camp. The other 3 crew members Tank Commander, Wallace Alexander, Gunner, Cecil Peterman, and the Assistant Gunner, Dage Hebert, were badly wounded and left for the medics. Wallace Alexander never made it back from the war, he was officially listed as FOD, Finding of Death, no remains were ever found. Hebert and Peterman were eventually picked up by our medics and were never POW's.

Reg

Reg, thanks for adding the history of the tank and the men involved. It's great that your were able to provide us with the facts. I don't know if John knows this either.

Marion J Chard

Mare , I'm sure you'll inform John ....with my regards .

Reg :rolleyes:

This is what John had to say in regards to your post Reg:

Thanks, Marion

It's interesting...I have the book by Goldstein telling of their episode....I've been there at the McAuliffe Square several times and at the Museum nearby in Bastogne where I received the autographed book by the Museum Curator...

Marion J Chard

Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures. Man, that tank is just oozing history (for lack of a better word) and it doesn't take much imagination to picture the scenario that was described above! I've never been to Bastogne, and most likely will never have an opportunity to go, so I very much appreciate it when I get to hear stories like this one, so thanks to all who contributed! :pdt34:

DD :woof:

As some of you might know , Martin ? The Tank on McAuliffe's Square has been put back in it's place after a full facelift .

I took these pics today and I must say the Barracuda looks brand new .... everything has been restored , new coat of paint , a new pedestal ..... etc ..

My first thought was : Great Job . My second one was and still is : Hell , they sucked every tiny bit of history out of it .......

But it's one way or another because the tank was in a very bad condition .

They also removed the M4 from the Historical center for restauration ...

Bastogne020607005.jpg

Bastogne020607004.jpg

Bastogne020607002.jpg

Bastogne020607001.jpg

Best

Reg

Here is the story of the Bastogne tank;

This tank originally was named "Barracuda".

It participated in an assault from the south of Bastogne on December 30, 1944.

This Sherman and another one got separated from their unit and were heading north into enemy territory.

In the vicinity of Renaumont (west of Bastogne), they got under enemy fire. In an attempt to escape this enemy fire, the Sherman got stuck into a muddy, snow-covered, swamp-like terrain and was hit by a 75 mm round in the left flank and a "Panzerfaust" in the engine compartment.

Wallace Alexander (Rank Commander) got wounded and is reported to have died while being a prisoner.

Gunner, Cecil Peterman, and the Assistant Gunner, Dage Hebert were badly wounded as well.

Andrew Urda (driver) and Ivan Goldstein (bow gunner) were sent to Stalag XIIA (Limburg, near Wiesbaden).

The second Sherman, under the command of a Captain Robert Ameno was destroyed as well.

"Barracuda" remained on the battlefield until 1947.

At one time, the 704th TD Bn Association - and 4th Armored Division - had it repainted and put their markings on it.

Erwin

Erwin ,

Thank you for reminding me . I totally lost my sense of history ..! :rolleyes:

Thank you Erwin ,

I never heard this one before . :drinkin:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New 101st ABD Memorial in Bastogne gbuscg 3 4,570 09-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  Bastogne Maps.... ricklind 1 2,638 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Historic Walk Bastogne gbuscg 4 4,836 12-17-2006, 08:24 PM