Reporting World War II

Reporting World War II

Received this book for my birthday. It was a delayed gift from my daughter and arrived a few days ago.

This is actually a two-book set, and this is Part One: American Journalism 1938-1944.

http://www.amazon.com/Reporting-World-War-...2053987-0308852

Part Two:

http://www.amazon.com/Reporting-World-War-...m/dp/1883011051

Here are two editorial reviews:

Editorial Reviews

From School Library Journal

A vast kaleidoscope of impressions in over 145 different articles and excerpts from books (including Bill Mauldin's Up Front and John Hersey's Hiroshima). Students seeking information on The Munich Conference can read selections by William L. Shirer and Dorothy Thompson; they can learn about the London Blitz from Edward R. Murrow; and about rescue at sea from Margaret Bourke-White. They will find Ernie Pyle, A.J. Liebling, or Roi Ottley among these multiple short, readable, primary-source selections. Journalism and history students can track both the war and American attitudes through these narratives.?Barbara Hawkins, Oakton High School, Fairfax, VA

Copyright 1995 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal

With 1995 marking the 50th anniversary of the close of World War II, countless volumes are being produced by numerous publishers. This duo from the venerable Library of America takes a different tack as it approaches the war through the eyes of the reporters and photographers who first delivered its harsh images from the front lines of the jungles, beachheads, and ravaged villages to the American public, often at great personal peril. The text is an amalgam of hard news dispatches, letters, and articles from writers as far-ranging as Ernie Pyle, Bill Mauldin, John Hersey, Edward R. Murrow, and Martha Gellhorn to John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, and Gertrude Stein. Together they impart not only the where and when of events but the emotional toll of war as well. With the advent of television, this is also an archive of a brand of journalism unfortunately long gone. The volumes include 64 pages of photos and more than 200 cartoons, drawings, and maps. The Library of America has outdone itself with this set; Reporting World War II is quite simply outstanding. Highly recommended for all public and academic libraries.?Michael Rogers, "Library Journal"

Copyright 1995 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

My husband began reading this book first, and I had a chance to read the first two entries last night. WOW! These people said it like it was.

The first entry, It's All Over" by William J Shirer, sure hit home. He had it all down pat and it's so scary to re-read his words today. It was written in Munich on September 30, 1938. Anyone out there well versed in WWII history knows what an impact this day played in the world. Yes, the turning over of the Sudetenland to Germany. :armata_PDT_23:

I am going to try and reprint this because I think all of you should read William's words. He was so on the mark with his assessment of Chamberlain, Hilter, Daladier Mussolini. His words are haunting to this day.

I will copy the text here later today.

Marion J Chard

Speaking of reporting WWII, a co-worker recently bought 2 of Ernie Pyle's books at an auction and brought them in so I can read them. I am currently reading "Here is your War". I didn't take me long to realise why the fighting man loved Ernie Pyle so much and what a terrible, terrible loss his death was.

"I tried to lunch with some general at least once a week to keep up my social standing and my dignity."
page 42

Brooke

Here's the reprint as promised. Take the time to read it. It's a short read.

It's All Over - William Shirer

It__s_All_Over.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   It__s_All_Over.pdf (Size: 1.05 MB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Brooke: It's nice that you could add Ernie to your collection. Everything I read about him and read by him, makes me admire him even more. Yes, his death was a great loss. :armata_PDT_23:
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Minnesota in World War II Walt's Daughter 0 3,158 11-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Crossing the Rapido: A Tragedy of World War II Walt's Daughter 0 3,405 01-22-2014, 07:26 AM
  Aces - A Novel of World War II - Robert Denny Walt's Daughter 0 3,112 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
  One Soldier's Memories:World War II - 1285th Engineers Walt's Daughter 1 5,879 03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
  Buddies: Men, Dogs and World War II (Paperback) Walt's Daughter 2 4,754 06-14-2009, 09:06 AM
  World War II Memorial Walt's Daughter 1 4,280 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  World War II Photographs - Richard Holmes Walt's Daughter 0 3,176 03-13-2009, 09:18 AM
  The All Americans in World War II Walt's Daughter 0 3,438 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
  Troopships of World War 2 Walt's Daughter 0 3,106 07-11-2008, 09:21 AM
  Atlas of World War II - by Jordan & Wiest Walt's Daughter 0 2,712 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM