LST 393

The 393 Preservation Association in Muskegon, Michigan is restoring a Landing Ship Tank, and opening it in May for tours. The ship won battle stars for the occupation of Sicily, the invasion of Salerno, and the D-day invasion at Normandy

USS LST 393 is located at the Mart Dock, on the Muskegon Lake waterfront , just off Shoreline Drive in the heart of downtown Muskegon, Michigan.

LST 393.org

The USS LST 393 was launched in Newport News, Virginia on November 11, 1942. Immediately after sea trials, she went to work in the defense of her country in Europe. Over nine thousand soldiers made their way to the front aboard LST 393, as well as 3, 248 vehicles. She also carried over five thousand prisoners and, during her service, logged 51, 817 nautical miles. The LST 393 made 75 voyages to foreign shores on three continents, including 30 round trips to the beaches of Normandy. She won battle stars for her service in the occupation of Sicily, the invasion of Salerno, and the D-day invasion at Normandy and was decommissioned in 1946.

Another restored LST that served at Sicly, Salerno, & Normandy is LST 325 in Evansville, IN.

LST 325

Even better, it's right here in Michigan! :armata_PDT_37:

She has quite a history!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

As a side note, the WW2 submarine USS Silversides is also in Muskegon,MI. & open for tours. It is not far from LST 383 so both could be toured easily in a day.

WW2 Submarime USS Silversides

For a list of preserved ships in the US, check this site.

List of Preserved Naval Ships

Thanks for the additional info. I am going to try and make it to Muskegon sometime this summer if at all possible. One of my WWII vets doesn't live too far from there either, so maybe can turn it into a REAL trip. Sounds like a perfect weekend for hubby and I. :pdt34:
Marion J Chard

Just read your link regarding the sub. As I was reading the following paragraph I said to myself, I know I've seen this. Well yup, I remembered the scene from that movie!

The Operation

The war's most publicized operation was performed on board SILVERSIDES. Pharmacist Mate Thomas Moore successfully removed a gangrenous appendix from crew member George Platter. Moore had never performed an operation before, but armed with makeshift instruments and a volunteer surgical team, he performed the operation successfully. The patient recovered admirably and was standing regular watch duties just six days later. The operation was reenacted in the movie Destination Tokyo.

Marion J Chard