Hello from the son of a 6th corp MP

Hello Larry from the daughter of a 6th corps MP! My dad was T4 Sgt Francis J Howard with

VI corps 206th MP Co. In VI corps, there were two MP groups - your Dad's 504th MP Battalion and my Dad's 206th MP Company.

My father never spoke about the war - he only spoke about the other fellows that were with him. I knew absolutely nothing about his army service. When he passed away in 1982, I

could never quite bring myself to go through his papers. Years later, it was something his

first cousin John told me that prompted me to finally read his war letters & diaries. He said:

"Your father went through alot during the war and I don't believe he ever told you dear.

The week that Francis came home, he came to see my father & said: "Uncle Marty, I saw

some terrible things and I want to talk to you about it today and then I'll never speak of

them ever again." True to his word, he never did.

After this conversation with John, I stayed up well into the night reading my Dad's War letters

and postcards. They were wonderful and I cried MANY a bitter tear over them, realizing

what he must've been through.

Since then, I've preserved all Dad's letters, photos and memorabilia. I have the diary he kept

in 1943 which records the Salerno invasion, the citation his unit received from Gen Mark

Clark for their actions at Anzio, and I even have the american flag armband that he wore

for the invasion of Southern France.

Here 's his Army history:

Drafted March 1941 into the 181st Infantry Yankee Division at Camp Edwards MA.

Moved to Fort Devens in preparation for Army's Carolina Manuevars.

He returned to Camp Edwards on Dec 6, 1941 and was scheduled to be released

from service Dec 8th, but Pearl Harbor made him "in for the duration".

He was selected to be part of VI Corps' new MP co and received his "6" patch.

1942 was spent mostly drilling & training, at one point he was sent to collect a huge

shipment of the army's newest vehicle - the jeep. (I have a great photo of him sitting

in one). He passed his exams for Officers Training School, but wasn't able to go

because he was scheduled to be sent overseas.

In February 1943, he went to Fort Dix NJ to ship out to North Africa. I believe some

of the convoy he was with was sunk. He was in Casablanca & Rabat North Africa until

preparations were underway at the Port Of Oran for the Salerno invasion Sept 9th.

(I have photos of him and his best buddy MP Corporal Bill Cunningham at Avellino).

January 1944, he was part of the invasion at the Anzio beachhead.

June 1944, the Rome-Arno campaign.

August 15, 1944, he was part of the invasion of Southern France.

He was in Besancon in Sept 1944 and Bruyeres in 1944.

In December 1944, he was in Alsace/Ardennes. (I have a picture of him taken on Christmas

day in a "commandeered German jeep").

In February 1945, he had enough points to go home, so just before VI corps was going to

cross the Rhine into Germany - he was sent home.

I'm so very proud of my Dad and I do believe that he receives my love for him in heaven.

Larry and Marion, weren't we blessed to be the children of such men!

Thank you for this wonderful website Marion!

Al, thank you for your service! We can never repay any of you guys. May God bless you &

everyone you love!

Mary Ann

Messages In This Thread
Hello from the son of a 6th corp MP - by SonofaMP - 04-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Hello from the son of a 6th corp MP - by mec1945 - 04-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Hello from the son of a 6th corp MP - by alkincer - 04-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Hello from the son of a 6th corp MP - by SonofaMP - 04-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello from the son of a 6th corp MP - by 206thmpco - 07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Hello from the son of a 6th corp MP - by SonofaMP - 07-31-2007, 05:45 PM