Where did they keep uniforms and medals??

I was sent this question today:

I have a question for one of your vets:

Assuming a man is decorated on the front by some visiting general or officer, and has his dress uniform on for the ceremony, but has to go back into action, what did he do with medals, clean uniforms, and personal property when he was in a foxhole or other frontline work?

Thanks.

Fred

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Russ sent this to me:

To begin with the question is not in keeping with the situation. Decorations on the front, if given by ranking visitors, were made to the individual in whatever uniform he was fighting in. Dress uniforms didn't exist except maybe in forgotten duffle bags or bed rolls which were left with the kitchen and supply trains, and more than likely lost if the unit was on the lines for any long time. After that, you sent the medals home at the first opportunity. I had an award made by General Bradley-pinned onto my shade 33 woolen uniform which I lived in, fought in, slept in, stunk in.....in theory I was supposed to wear the medal for the remainder of that day but actually I took it off when Bradley departed, or rahter when they proviided us transportation from Regimental headquarters back to ours. I got the local red cross field director for the regiment to box and send my medal home because he had the time and opportunity. There may have been situations on or after the cease fire in the spring of 45 where there were parades and reviews and formal presentations, but the uniforms at best, were the result of a qm laundry unit visit...showers and clean, not necessarily new or well fitting, clothes. Good question........brings back memories. Russ Weiskircher

Marion J Chard

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Marion

The award of the CIB badges had to be made in unit orders and at

an appropriate ceremony, whenever possible.

The awarding of Medal Ribbons was done in lieu of the presentation of

the actual medal in our ETO area. (I got my Medals when I returned to

the States and was at Fort Devens, Ma.)

I left my Class A Uniform in England along with my duffel bag and never

saw it again. The Class A(Dress uniform ) originally had a "Blouse" but

when we got our Class A uniforms after the war the Ike Jacket was

substituted for the Blouse. Even the higher ranking officers at "Lucky Forward"

3rd Army Hq. ,as far as I saw, also never wore Class A's.

Never saw a "visitor" from any other country present an award to a GI ever!!

The personal items we carried we minimal such as shaving gear, tooth paste

(when you could get it),Toilet Paper and there were very little other personal

effects we carried in our field packs and or on our person. Favorite place for

socks was inside shirt to keep them dry and/or warm. Men were more worried

about being able to care the ammo they might need.

Believe me and Joe and Rocky will agree (I hope) that in a fox hole all you

were concerned with was firing at the Krauts and not exposing any more of

your body than necessary to avoid getting hit.

When the "Shower Units" did show up(very rare) they took our uniforms if they

weren't walking away with the mechanized dandruff(cooties) leaving(LOL). God

they stunk to high heaven and if you dropped your socks they'd break.

Who's Fred?? Hope they don't think it was me asking that question!!!!

Sgtleo :drinkin:

The gentleman's name is Fred Lanting, and he sent me the question through email. A very good question too. As Russ stated, it brought back a lot of old memories. :blush:
Marion J Chard

Sgtleo,Marion;; I think every outfit,(Divn.), Corps. or areas,had their own way of doing things You saw what I looked like in front of that hay stack. We had just come of the line at Bennevento. The next day same clothes just some mud brushed off is when our commanding General came in the afternoon and pinned the Bronze Star on me. The Signal Corps took a picture of the General pinning the medal on me. AS for the C.I.B. Our Lt. gave it to us, just passed them out. The pic. is in my scrap book. Sgt. asfar as toilet paper we carried it in our helmet liners. AND YOU ARE DEAD RIGHT ABOUT THE SOCKS. Rocky

I've always wondered about that, too. My Dad brought home some souvenirs and I presumed he had a few items all during the time he was in Italy. I know he had the German camera with him from May 1944, as he sent home photos he had taken. Later, I learned that he didn't pick up the helmet and 2 pistols until the last day of the war.

Also, I guess being in an Artillery unit was a big advantage: i.e., he had heavy trucks and command cars to store away objects. I read a journal of a cook who hide special treats in his truck.

The awarding of Medal Ribbons was done in lieu of the presentation of

the actual medal in our ETO area.

I knew this was the case for most awards, especially the Campaign ribbons. But there was the occassional lucky chap who was called out in front of a General to get his medal pinned. Of course, that medal was probably not engraved with his name as officially awarded ones were.

I'm still puzzled about where they kept their Class A. I'm sure there was a duffle bag somewhere but how did they keep up with it?? I thought it was mandantory to be decked out when going on Leave to Rome or such places or the MP's would fine you and haul you back to camp. That is why the MP's were hated by the average GI---they required too much spit & polish when all the GI wanted to do was to get away from the Army life for a few hours.

Steve

GI's of the 5th Army wearing IKE jackets and getting their boots polished while on leave at Monte Cantini Rest Area near Florence.

(Note; GI wear patches, ribbons and CIBs.)

Montecatini.jpg

I've sent this question around to a few other of my buddies to see what they can add about their personal experiences. I know for a fact that many lost their things once they went to the front. For many, they had their items stolen. :pdt33:
Marion J Chard

Custerman;Marion, just an added comment. Again if you look at the pic. of me in front of haystack, I am wearing woolens and a field jacket boots were of rough leather, just scrubbed the mud off, and that is how I looked to the commanding General of the 34th when he pinned the Bronze Star MEDAL on me. And yes Marion, I didn't want to say it but I had things stolen or thrown away. I had a musett? bag stolen that had personal items and souveneers and when we came back off the line it was gone. I got the Ike jacket just before I left camp to come home. Got it at the supply tent. the only thing sewed on it was the ruptured duck on the right side above the pocket. I had an Italian sew the patch pfc, 3yrs. svc stripe and 6 mos. overseas stripes. You both sure brought back some memories. Never was in Rome.

The 135th Regt. was moving to fast.

FOLLOWING THE 109TH COMBAT ENGINEERS ACROSS THE PO VALLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rocky

Most of the G.I's extra equipment was stored in his "B" bag. Our "B" bags were kept in The Barracks Bag trailer. one per platoon. I never saw a soldier that did not have his medal with him until he could send it home if he wanted to. All medals I saw awarded were given immediately to the soldier. I was fortunate to always have a jeep assigned to me so I had no probmem holding on to my possesions. The Infantry G.I. had no way to carry much but his mess kit, gas mask & his piece. Many CIB's were brought home as souveniors. Transportation of personal effects was a unit responsibility. There were many large souveniors brought home, some how the soldiers hung on to them. There are many memories of how these things happened & most of them after 60 years are a little pixilated! AL

[. There are many memories of how these things happened & most of them after 60 years are a little pixilated! AL

Hello Al,

You and I must have been watching the same movie yesterday, with Gary Cooper. That's the first time I ever heard the word "pixilated" :lol:

Dogdaddy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War II, Korean vets get their medals Walt's Daughter 1 2,878 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  World War II vet, 86, finally gets his medals Walt's Daughter 3 4,155 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  What Happened to Your Uniforms? crsjnsn 10 8,322 11-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Onaway417
  Japanese medals 3_7_I_Recon 2 3,813 09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Last Post: chambers
  P-38 PILOT<60 YEARS MEDALS Cadetat6 4 6,005 11-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Custermen
  UNIFORMS Cadetat6 0 2,067 09-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Cadetat6
  WW2 Occupation medals Cadetat6 2 81,862 01-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Cadetat6