Dresden

It's no different is it? Welcome to Nazi Germany. Those who acquiesce are just as guilty as those who perpetrate harm against another. Shame on all! :armata_PDT_23:

MARION;; I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO WRITE SOMETING THAT CAME OUT IN OUR PAPER TODAY, QUOTE,

(WW II CARPET BOMBING OF DRESDEN GERMANY BY ALLIED FORCES. MORE PEOPLE DIED IN THIS EVENT THAN WERE LOST IN THE HIROSHIMA A-BOMB BLAST. SO MUCH FOR AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CASUALTIES.) unquote. Marion I never heard of this, have you or maybe someone else. I SURE DIDN'T KNOW THIS. ROCKY

I moved the post to it's own topic!

Read the facts about Dresden

Click on the link to read the entire page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dr...in_World_War_II

The precise number of dead is difficult to ascertain and is not known. Estimates are made difficult by the fact that the city and surrounding suburbs which had a population of 642,000 in 1939[21] was crowded at that time with up to 200,000 refugees,[22] and some thousands of wounded soldiers. The fate of some of the refugees is not known as they may have been killed and incinerated beyond recognition in the fire-storm, or they may have left Dresden for other places without informing the authorities. Earlier reputable estimates varied from 25,000 to more than 60,000, but historians now view around 25,000–35,000 as the likely range[23][24] with the latest (1994) research by the Dresden historian Friedrich Reichert pointing toward the lower part of this range.[25] It would appear from such estimates that the casualties suffered in the Dresden bombings were similar to those suffered in other German cities which were subject to firebombing attacks during area bombardment.[26]

Contemporary official German records give a number of 21,271 registered burials, including 6,865 who were cremated on the Altmarkt.[27] There were around 25,000 officially buried dead by March 22, 1945, war related or not, according to official German report Tagesbefehl (Order of the Day) no. 47 ("TB47"). There was no registration of burials between May and September 1945.[28] War-related dead found in later years, from October 1945 to September 1957, are given as 1,557; from May 1945 until 1966, 1,858 bodies were recovered. None was found during the period 1990–1994, even though there was a lot of construction and excavation during that period. The number of people registered with the authorities as missing was 35,000; around 10,000 of those were later found to be alive.[24] In recent years, the estimates have become a little higher in Germany and lower in Britain; earlier it was the opposite.

There have been higher estimates for the number of dead, ranging as high as 300,000. They are from disputed and unreliable sources, such as the Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda headed by Joseph Goebbels, Soviet historians, and David Irving, the once popular but now discredited self-styled 'historian'[29] who retracted his higher estimates.[30] Both the Columbia Encyclopedia and Encarta Encyclopedia list the number as "from 35,000 to more than 135,000 dead", the higher figure of which is in line with Irving's incorrect retracted estimates.

The Nazis made use of Dresden in their propaganda efforts and promised swift retaliation. The Soviets also made propaganda use of the Dresden bombing in the early years of the Cold War to alienate the East Germans from the Americans and British.

The tonnage of bombs dropped on Dresden was actually lower than in many other areas.[31] However, ideal weather conditions at the target site, the wooden-framed buildings, and "breakthroughs" linking the cellars of contiguous buildings and the lack of preparation for the effects of air-raids by Gauleiter Martin Mutschmann,[32] conspired to make the attack particularly devastating. For these reasons the loss of life in Dresden was higher than many other bombing raids during World War II. For example Coventry, the English city which is now twinned with Dresden, and is often compared and contrasted with it, lost 1,236 in two separate raids in 1940. In late 2004, an RAF man involved in the raid said in an interview on the BBC's Radio 4 that another factor was the lower-than-expected level of anti-aircraft fire, which allowed a high degree of accuracy on the part of the bombers.

Overall, Anglo-American bombing of German cities claimed between 305,000 and 600,000 civilian lives.[33] Whether these attacks hastened the end of the war is a controversial question.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Facts about Hiroshima

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombin...ma_and_Nagasaki

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/abomb/mp10.htm

Marion J Chard

Be very careful what you read TODAY, there's a lot of revisionist history our there. Just because you read something in an email, or see something in an article DOES NOT and I repeat DOES NOT make it true. Anyone can say just about anything they want.

I'm sure you didn' t read in the Enquirer (maybe you did), because trash mags like that print anything under the sun to get readers and more money. Just be vigilent and always double check your sources. Well that is why you posted it here in the first place. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

THANKS TEACHER!!!! I KNOW NOW SOMETHING I DIDN'T BEFORE. Rocky

When the subject turns to the slaughter of the innocents, Germany doesn't have a point that will hold water in my opinion and that includes the firebombing of Dresden,Hamburg and other major cities of the Reich. It seems the Dresden bombing is supposed to in some way cleanse their collective conscience for starting a war that took the lives of nearly 60,000,000 people....not to mention The Holocaust, or the starvation of 2 million Russian POWS. If you read some of the old newspaper and magazine reports written about Germany in the aftermath of WWII you will find that most Germans felt no remorse for the war...only that Germany had lost. This is why I always flinch a little whenever someone berates the Allies for the bombing of civilians in German cities. I believe Bomber Harris referred to this as "reaping the whirlwind" that Germany started. I certainly do not celebrate the killing of civilians of any nationality...not then and not now, but in war the civilians are usually the ones that suffer most on all sides.

:armata_PDT_23:

Jim

Nicely put. Yes, it's almost a vulgarity that this is even brought up in a newspaper today or ever for that matter. You just wanna shout, "Say what?" The audacity! Makes me want to shudder. I have no use for finger-pointers, especially Monday Morning QB's. Wonder how old the writer was? :pdt33:
Marion J Chard

Yes, the bombing of Dresden. Dresden had one of the few functional rail centers left. Also one of the few good

communication centers left. Also many functioning war material factories making arms, muntions, and the Zies

Optical factories. Also housing for these war plant factory workers. The maority of these war production factories

were severly damaged and some slightly damaged along with the workers housing. True, many civilians were

killled. Forget about it being a "historic place" only. It was a true Allied target to stop more war production,

communications, and rail delivery. We did not start this war but wished it finished . Now lets check on the town

of Lidice in 1942. ...... "In one of the most infamous single acts of World War Two, all 172 men and boys over age 16 in the village were shot while the women were deported to Ravensbrück concentration camp where most died. Ninety young children were sent to the concentration camp at Gneisenau, with some taken later to Nazi orphanages if they were German looking.

The village of Lidice was then destroyed building by building with explosives, then completely leveled until not a trace remained, with grain being planted over the flattened soil. The name was then removed from all German maps.." This is just a small example of many happenings.

That's one I hadnt heard, Joe. Thanks for sharing that with us .

This revisionist stuff in the schools is scaring the crap out of me. These kids today are mostly ignorant, but they dont care and dont want to hear about it.. Ive mentioned before how our veterans museum has thrown them out the door.

Chris :machinegun:

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the complete destruction of Lidice done as a reprisal for the killing of Reinhard Heidrich, the nazi mass murderer who was second in command of the SS behind Himmler? I do know that a terrible price was paid by civilians after 2 partisans ambushed him. He ended up dying from wounds suffered after a grenade exploded in his staff car.

Jim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remembering Dresden bombing:60th Anniv Walt's Daughter 4 81,105 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy