New York Tribune dated August 18,1863

Hi gang,

I just picked up my best deal on ebay ever...an honest-to-God Civil War era newspaper, in very good condition for it's age. The headlines are full of "current" war news such as the killing of 41 of Quantrell's men in retailiation for the "Lawrence Massacre," The seige of Charleston and retaking of Fort Sumter (expected to happen in the next few days). Too many things to mention, but just incredible to read. I am going to need to have it framed in UV resistant glass as it is pretty frail now especially around the edges. What shocked me the most is that I was the only one who bid on it! In case you are thinking "probably because it's a fake" I can assure you it is not, which anybody could tell by holding it in their hands...it's the real deal. I am almost embarrassed to say that I got it for 10 bucks! :armata_PDT_01: I will post a picture later after I scan it.

Cheers,

Jim

You are awesome. That is great news. What a wonderful relic you have in your hands. Good thing you are going to frame it, because it won't last much longer like that. Can't wait to see a photo of the front page! :pdt34:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

As usual, my memory didn't last from the living room to the computer room and I posted the wrong date...should be August 27,1863, not Aug. 18th! Uh well...don't sweat the small stuff, as the saying goes :rolleyes: I just now tried to upload a picture and it doesn't seem to be working. This is my first try doing that with the new system... I'll try again later. I am having to put eye drops in Bailey's eyes every two hours so I'm rather zombied today and my frustration level is high:0)

Cheers,

Jim

That's so cool! I just love those old newspapers. I like the ads especially.

Brooke

I'm also looking forward to seeing your newspaper.I might ask who it was that caught up with Quantrell, sincce my wife' Great -Grandfather chased Quantrell around with the 8th Missouri Volunteer Cavalary. I have a picture I'll try to post.

How is Bailey doing latley, Jim?

Chris

Some of my enthusiasem about this has diminished. After looking in the correct category on ebay I find that Civil War era newspapers aren't hard to come by. There are dozens available on ebay and most are listed at under $20. It's still very cool to look at, even if not so rare & valuable as I had assumed. :rolleyes:

Jim

PS- Bailey is doing pretty good on the prednisone, although I noticed yesterday that the lymph glands under her arms have grown larger again. She has developed a condition that requires 4 different types of eyedrops to heal. I have to administer one or the other every 2 hours, so I am getting rummy from no sleep, but I would do anything to keep her comfortable as Best Friends like Bailey are hard to come by...

Jim,

Still is a cool find. I remember someone brought in a local Memphis paper that was printed a few years after the Civil War and we were all excited to see it. I thought they were be very rare.

Steve