Lt. Col. Jack O'Brien 540th Combat Eng

Got this letter last night. Isn't this great? Another family member of a 540th Combat Engineer.

Great website.  My father was Lt. Col. Jack O'Brien, CO of the 2832.  I have his copy of Overseas with the 540th Engineers.  I remember looking at it when I was a child.  My father passed away Feb. 17, 2004 after a lengthy illness.  I believe that he was instrumental in organizing the reunions, I believe the first was in Florida. 

I was trying to find out some information on the 540th when I came upon your website.  The 540th was attached to the 5th and 7th armies.  Africa and Italy with the 5th and when did they change to the 7th army?  I remember the patches of both armies, but did not ask my father about them. 

Best regards,

John C. O'Brien, Jr.

Dallas, Texas

Here is my answer to him:

Hi John:

What a nice surprise.  I have heard from a number of vets this week and/or their families.  Must be in the air!

The 540th was detached from the 5th Army shortly after the fall of Rome along with several other units including the 36th and 48th Engineers, the 3rd, 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions and the 1st Armored Division.  They all became a part of 7th Army for the invasion of southern France in August of 1944.  The 39th Engineers and the 34th Infantry Division remainder in Italy for the duration.

I will forward his name to a few of my 540th buddies and see if they recognize the name.  I can put you in touch with them too if you so desire.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  I'd love to include a page for your dad on the site too.  My eventual goal is to write a book on the VI Corps Engineers.  They deserve to be remembered.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

He also wrote back and said "Mr. Kenneth Kleinbach called my father just before he died." Ken's name has been mentioned on this site several times. I've talked to him on the phone, but don't have a page for him yet. He was also a member of the 540th Combat Engineers.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Got this letter last night. Isn't this great? Another family member of a 540th Combat Engineer.

Great website.  My father was Lt. Col. Jack O'Brien, CO of the 2832.  I have his copy of Overseas with the 540th Engineers.  I remember looking at it when I was a child.  My father passed away Feb. 17, 2004 after a lengthy illness.  I believe that he was instrumental in organizing the reunions, I believe the first was in Florida. 

I was trying to find out some information on the 540th when I came upon your website.  The 540th was attached to the 5th and 7th armies.  Africa and Italy with the 5th and when did they change to the 7th army?  I remember the patches of both armies, but did not ask my father about them. 

Best regards,

John C. O'Brien, Jr.

Dallas, Texas

Here is my answer to him:

Hi John:

What a nice surprise.  I have heard from a number of vets this week and/or their families.  Must be in the air!

The 540th was detached from the 5th Army shortly after the fall of Rome along with several other units including the 36th and 48th Engineers, the 3rd, 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions and the 1st Armored Division.  They all became a part of 7th Army for the invasion of southern France in August of 1944.  The 39th Engineers and the 34th Infantry Division remainder in Italy for the duration.

I will forward his name to a few of my 540th buddies and see if they recognize the name.  I can put you in touch with them too if you so desire.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.  I'd love to include a page for your dad on the site too.  My eventual goal is to write a book on the VI Corps Engineers.  They deserve to be remembered.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

He also wrote back and said "Mr. Kenneth Kleinbach called my father just before he died." Ken's name has been mentioned on this site several times. I've talked to him on the phone, but don't have a page for him yet. He was also a member of the 540th Combat Engineers.

I am a new member so not really familiar with how this site works. Have been tracking it and trying to find my dad's information when I came across this.

My dads name was Leo A Koerperich from Selden, Kansas. He served in the 540th, 2832 Engineer Combat Battalion, Co A.

When I read your post I thought I got pretty lucky, but let me make sure.

Dad had a listing of the men and listed on the Battalion Staff is John C O'Brien, 664 Bowen St, Dation, Ohio. Is that your dad? If so, maybe we could help each other a littel, but remember, I am new to this site and posting messages.

post-6-1128103567.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   military.jpg (Size: 2.87 KB / Downloads: 0)

I am a new member so not really familiar with how this site works. Have been tracking it and trying to find my dad's information when I came across this.

My dads name was Leo A Koerperich from Selden, Kansas. He served in the 540th, 2832 Engineer Combat Battalion, Co A.

When I read your post I thought I got pretty lucky, but let me make sure.

Dad had a listing of the men and listed on the Battalion Staff is John C O'Brien, 664 Bowen St, Dayton, Ohio. Is that your dad? If so, maybe we could help each other a littel, but remember, I am new to this site and posting messages.

Dear Marilyn:

Glad to see that you joined the forum. A very warm welcome to you and yours.

I hope you received my email last night in regards to your father. I will contact John O'Brien regarding the post above, and if you so desire, will pass along your info and email address to him. Hopefully he will contact you.

:pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Please do pass it along to John. As is obvious, I don't quite know how to use the site. Never used a message board before.

Hopefully he will contact me by email and I can understand better.

Thank you for all your help and YES, I did receive your email last night.

Thanks

Dear Marilyn:

Well for a first time user, you did a great job! :pdt34:

I sent an email off a couple of minutes ago and gave John your email address. Please let me know if he contacts you.

I will be pleased to add your name to the Newsletter mailing list. I would love to hear more about your dad. Let's get his "name in lights" and add his story to the site. ;)

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,870 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  Info on Richard Conn - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 5 8,540 01-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Sam Consolo 540th Combat Engineer - looking for buddies Walt's Daughter 15 11,281 05-18-2015, 09:10 AM
  LTC John C. O'Brien Legion of Merit Citation CaptO 4 4,675 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
  Harlan Holm - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,677 09-06-2011, 11:08 AM
  Jack Wilson - 49th Engineer Walt's Daughter 6 7,414 12-29-2010, 01:19 PM
  Cliff Duncan media file - 540th Combat Eng Walt's Daughter 3 5,525 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM
  Clayton D. Gard - 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,515 07-27-2008, 06:07 PM
  Bob Feland & Cliff Duncan - 540th Combat Engs Walt's Daughter 2 4,513 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM
  John P. Korab 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,050 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM