Jerry Gorden - webmaster 34th Inf Div

Many of you are familiar with Jerry Gorden who runs the 34th Division's site. Well Rocky just sent me this news this evening and it is not good. I am so sorry to hear this, especially since Jerry Gorden was one of my very first contacts when I started my research. He is the one who sent me a copy of the Dogfaces Who Smiled Through Tears book, and also several other documents to help me out. We had been corresponding on and off since 2004. :unsure::unsure::(:(

http://www.34infdiv.org

=========================

I do not know if you have heard, but Jerry (my dad) has entered Hospice care, and is living the rest of his days there. The prognosis is not good and we were told there was a slim chance for him to make it through the weekend. He is getting excellent care at this time though.

My dad took me aside back in November and told me when it came time for this- to email everyone in his address book and ask for him to be removed from theirs. So I am honoring his wishes at this time.

Thank you,

Sherry Gorden-Long (his daughter)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Jerry is not only webmaster, but is also the Natl.Sect-Treasurer of the 34th Divn. Assoc. Roque

I hate to hear this. :(

Brooke

Well the worst has come to pass. :(

Jerry L. Gorden • February 4th, 2007 • R.I.P.

Jerry L. Gorden, Brig. Gen. (Ret.), our Association Secretary/

Treasurer, passed away this past Sunday evening. For the Association

and all its members, I wish to express our condolences to his widow,

Nancy, and to all his family.

May He Rest In Peace.

A funeral service is being arranged for Saturday, February 10th.

Information is still being gathered and will be posted here as soon

as possible. Notes to the family may be sent to 5280 NW 66 Ave,

Johnston IA 50131-1129. E-mail to the webmaster@34infdiv.org will be

forwarded as soon as arrangements have been made.

- Patrick Skelly, Webmaster

Marion J Chard

Thank you, Marion for posting this. As President I have to be there and then afterwards, have a meeting to have the vacancy filled. I am hoping that I can get Homer Ankrum's Daughter, (Ellen), to take this position. Weather may not cooperate. Possible snow Fri. and down to zero or below on Saturday. It's about a 4 hour trip from K.C. Rocky

Safe trip Rocky. Take care and be extra careful my dear. How sad it is to lose him. He was one of my first WWII contacts when I began my research. He was very kind and good to me.

I plan on sending a card and note to the family, but please send along what I had to say. I shall miss him.

Rocky how old of a gentleman was he? I never knew.

Marion J Chard

Good Morning, Marion ! Jerry was younger than me (10 yrs. +-). Supposed to snow tonite so I hope Hiway 35 north is OK. Wish me luck in filling the vacancy.

It is sad to say that my first act as president had to be something like this. Roque

Marion JUST GOT BACK FROM DES MOINES, IA. VISITATION WAS FRIDAY, AND THE FUNERAL SERVICE WAS TODAY SAT. HE HAD FULL MILITARY SERVICE, THE IOWA NATL GUARD DID THE HONORS. INCLUDING A THREE CANON CONONADE SALUTE. I WILL MAIL YOU HIS OBIT. HIS RANK WAS BRIG. GEN. JERRY GORDEN RET. I PUT THREE MEN IN CHARGE OF FILLLING HIS POSITION. THEIR ANSWERE WAS--YES MR. PRESIDENT, YES SIR! PEOPLE LOOKED AT ME AND PROBABLY WONDERED, WHO THE HELL IS THIS ., DIDN'T KNOW IF I WAS REAL OR MAYBE AN ILLEAGLE. THEY GOT A SURPRISE WHEN I OPENED MY MOUTH AND SPOKE TO THEM. EVERYTHING WENT FINE. JERRY WILL BE INTERED PRIVATELY, JUST FAMILY ONLY. 4 below this morning, almost froze my ______ this am. Rocky

First off, glad you made it back safe and sound. I worry about my loved ones when they travel this time of year through snow country.

Secondly thanks for posting this in a timely fashion. I'm glad he had such a beautiful service.

I just mailed my card to the family yesterday along with a copy of my Intro paragraph to my book. You see, Jerry is mentioned in that chapter, and I thought the family would like to see it. It's too sad that Jerry didn't get to see it before he passed on. I hope it will give some comfort to them.

I also told them that his name will have a prominent spot in my Thank You section of the book too. When I finish it someday, I will mail a copy of the book to the family. I think they would appreciate it that. :heartpump:

Marion J Chard

Thank You, thank you for thinking of me as I traveled. I mentioned that he was to be intered, he was cremated only the family in attendance. I did meet them all, the interesting part was when his wife, Nancy I believe, told me that Jerry often talked about me, and was waiting to see me again at the reunion. Sure gave me a warm feeling. Thank you for sending them a card. I told several vets of this website and gave them the e-m,add. Life can sure deal some terrible blows. Loss of a loved one and then a good freind, But GOD gives you the strengh and courage to carry on. THIS I FIRMLY BELIEVE. God Bless. Roque,(Rocky)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-discovering Rocky Riojas - 34th Inf Div? Walt's Daughter 7 9,901 10-25-2018, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Rocky Riojas - 34th Inf Div - latest info Aug 2015 Walt's Daughter 3 4,456 08-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Farewell - Joseph R. Piche - 34th Inf Div -175 FA Walt's Daughter 0 2,394 12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
  Farewell Gerald (Jerry) Baszner Walt's Daughter 0 2,340 11-23-2008, 10:27 PM