Britain pays off war-debt

BLOOMBERG NEWS SERVICE

December 29, 2006

Britain will transfer $84 million to the U.S. Treasury today, the final payment on a debt used to finance the defeat of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany in World War II.

The U.S. extended $4.34 billion in credit in 1945, allowing Britain to stave off bankruptcy after devoting almost all its resources to the war for half a decade. Since 1950, Britain has made payments on the debt at the end of every year except six.

Advertisement At the time it was granted, the loan strained trans-Atlantic relations. British politicians expected a gift in recognition of their contribution to the war effort, especially for the lives lost before the United States entered the war after Pearl Harbor.

“The U.S. didn't seem to realize that Britain was bankrupt,†said Alan Sked, a historian at the London School of Economics. The loan was “denounced in the House of Lords, but in the end, the country had no choice.â€

The loan was double the size of the British economy at the time.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Were it not to the Germans to pay that dept, after all they started that War.

Ya, that would have an appropriate part of the punishment.

Marion J Chard

What's new. Of any country on Gods green earth, would you expect any other to pay it's bill. For a country we went to war with for our freedom, to end up our best ally and best friend. They pay us for the support we gave them. What about the sacrifices they paid for us . We still speak English in America, owing to their true grit. If Britain had folded, there would never have been a "D DAY"

chucktoo

Here's to the Brits. I've always loved them! Hey my husband has English blood in his veins. No wonder I love him too. :wub::lol:
Marion J Chard

If Britain had folded, there would never have been a "D DAY"

chucktoo

You're right and maybe we over here would only speek one language namely german however thank god to the brit's and to Ami's we're a free poeple I thank you for that :drinkin:

By the way I'm going to England in july to an Airshow at Fairford Fairford is an American B52 airbase and there is held all years the biggest Airshow in Europe.

Ah I can't await my first brown ale in that pub near the Swindon station :drinkin:

[

By the way I'm going to England in july to an Airshow at Fairford Fairford is an American B52 airbase and there is held all years the biggest Airshow in Europe.

Ah I can't await my first brown ale in that pub near the Swindon station :drinkin:

I just read a poll, that Brits are willing to give up some civil rights for the War on Terrorism. We all owe Tony Blair alot for hanging in there :pdt34:

undefined

I have heard that Newcastle on tap is entirely different over there. Sounds like a good trip. Air Shows are always awesome. I have been meaning to ask you Martin if you have ever had Chimay Ale. It seems to me that the Belgian Monks tat make it must have a direct pipeline to God. :rolleyes: They know beer!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1944 Britain GIs having fun before D-Day sixgun 0 1,997 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Last Post: sixgun
  Hitler backs Rashid Ali in his fight against Britain Walt's Daughter 0 2,396 05-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter