George Koskimaki 101st Airborne

Wow, it felt so good today receiving a post card from George Koskimaki of the 101st Airborne. George is a prominent author of several books including Hells Highway, which I am currently reading. I guess I'm now on the official mailing list for the Michigan Chapter of the 101st Airborne Luncheons. It is quite an honor to be invited to their luncheon's and I am really looking forward to my first meeting on Wednesday.

Art Morneweck and I were extended the invitation by Don Burgett, prominent author and member of the 101st Airborne 506th PIR, when we met him at his house in December of 2004. Art was able to make it to the meeting last month, but I was unable to attend because of mother nature and the snow factor.

According to the postcard, they had one of their best gatherings last month with 44 in attendance. Art got a mention and it also said he will bring a friend (yours truly) from Alger, MI this month.

Can you tell I'm excited? :bluejumper:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Fatherly advice,,take it easy and be careful driving. This is another step on the ladder to "Historian Marion Chard" and I can say "I know her"

papa

Well it looks like mother nature has finally cooperated and she has given me her permission to carry out my mission; the trip down state to attend the Michigan Chapter of the 101st Luncheon. I can't tell you how bummed I was yesterday when I turned on the Weather Channel and they were talking about his winter storm overtaking the state of Michigan. :o No I said, not two months in a row. But then this morning the sun God has shone his rays upon me and...

I guess there's some snow around the Detroit area, but I can handle that. It's just up here in the "boonies" where roads don't get plowed with the same tenacity that they do in the BIG CITY!

I promise to tell you all about my great adventure when I return. I am going with "Papa" Art Morneweck and I'm sure we'll have a great time. :pdt12:

Now if I can just get my jump boots laced up! :pdt::pdt12:

Marion J Chard

Okay, just a touch base thing for all tonight. More details to follow, but I wanted to share with you my wonderful experiences from yesterday.

I was finally able to make it to a Michigan 101st Airborne luncheon on Wednesday. An extremely satisfying event. Where do I start?

Well we (Art Morneweck and I) arrived early and were greeted warmly by George Koskimaki. There were probably only 10 people there at the time. When we walked in the door I heard, "Well there's Marion". I felt so welcomed. George began talking to me immediately and while feeling quite nervous, it made me feel more at home.

I then met Don Straith and wound up sitting next to him for the afternoon and sharing many a story and a laugh. It was like sitting with family that I hadn't seen in a long time. Don was one of my faves. I must admit. We hit if off immediately!

Six of us sat around our table and discussed all kinds of topics. Don Straith apologized for not answering my email promptly and I told him no apologies were necessary. I was just happy to finally meet him in person. I asked him if I could create a page for him on the site and he was most humble and modest. I got the feeling that he felt as though he didn't deserve it. This is the same feeling that I got from many of them.

Let's see, Don Burgett was there but couldn't stay long. I only got a couple of minutes to talk to him. But the big stinker came up behind my seat before he left and started tugging it out from under me while grinning. :pdt12: Then I really felt like I belonged. Welcome to the boys club! :pdt20:

We had a very good turn out. I didn't take a count, but there must have been about 50 people there. Yours truly was the only woman. I was the token! :pdt12:'You have now entered the boys domain!'

So the first part of the affair was chit-chat and many people introducing or re-introducing themselves. So many fascinating people from all walks of life. I just love meeting new folks.

Then it was time for lunch and we started off with the Pledge of Allegiance. I'll tell you, you get a whole new feel when you are in a room with the men who were THERE. It gives you a whole new sense of pride. It's something that we normally don't think about, but a whole lot was going through this little head while reciting the words I've repeated a thousand times before.

After lunch George got up and started the announcements and readings, bringing everyone up to date and sharing experiences. He then began to introduce new people in the room. One WWII vet was introduced by a younger friend and when the vet began to speak, had everyone in the room in stitches. He explained why he could never rise in rank because of his voice. He said that going through all his war experiences scared the hell out of him and when he was scared his voice rose a few octaves and he sounded like a whining little guy. He said, how could anyone take me seriously and follow me into war when I was squeaking. You had to be there to truly appreciate this. Many years after the war he ran into some of the old gang. Someone recognized him and asked, aren't you so-and-so? Yes he replied and they began talking. Well, they said, why isn't your voice high and squeaky anymore. He answered back, it's because I'm not scared anymore!

This continued and a few others began to speak including Mark Bando. He had many, many stories for all of us including one of the undivulged or unspoken stories of the 101st.

One of the men had taken on a German prisoner who was being EXTREMELY uncooperative. After a while this paratrooper has had enough and shoots the German prisoner in the foot. The man winds up falling several times as he is made to follow in their steps. Each time he does, he is made to get up and is kicked and yelled at.

Then along comes an officer and bascially asks what the hell is going on. He is told to mind his own business and leave. He does so. All the while this is occuring a replacement amongst them is not quite sure to make of this entire situation. Finally he questions one of the unit and he tells the guy that during one of their parachute drops, the guy who is rough housing the prisoner, sees his best buddy get his parachute hooked and the Germans come along, tie him up in barbed-wire and proceed to use him for bayonet practice. The young man then understands why this guy is acting this way and never again questions his motives.

So Mark continues to tell us all the latest and shows us some German-camo gear from the Battle of the Bulge. I will tell more about it later. Promise.

So pretty soon, George K is back at the mike and says, now we will hear from Marion. Uh, duh.... I am all embarrassed and start to (or try to) talk from where I am seated. Oh, no, he wants me to go up and address the crowd. Oh my God. So I proceed up to the podium, shaking all the while and I start off like this, "I just want all of you to know that I write a lot better than I speak." Egad!

I did make it through my introduction and told them all about my dad and my fascination for all things WWII. Told them about my trials and tribulations trying to extract info in the beginning and how I got to be at a 101st luncheon. I was sweating and was glad to return to my seat. :wacko:

George once again took the podium and finished the business of the day.

Afterwards I was shocked to see a line behind my chair of men waiting to introduce and meet me. Folks, it was one of the warmest welcomes I've ever gotten and I was just taken back. Person after person came up, shook my hand, told me how happy they were to meet me and each one of them engaged me in conversation for a while.

I can't tell you how many fantastic people I met. 101st members, other vets including combat engineers, historians, etc. We all exchanged business cards and said we would contact each other. Fantastic.

Art and I also took pics. I will try and have the digitals up later tonight or tomorrow (it's getting late and this woman is getting tired). When the roll of film on my Canon AE-1 is used up and developed, then I will share those too.

The absolute highlight (wait it gets better?????) of the day was being invited out to dinner with George Koskimaki. Art, he and I met at a restaurant in Northville, MI later that night and had the most delightful time. We talked about numerous subjects including Dick Winters, making parachute jumps, gliders, education (he was a teacher), writing books, etc. Such a thrill.

He also signed our books that day and he gave me some advice on writing mine. He was kind enough to actually give me some of his interview files to use as a reference. Can you realize how much this means to me?

Well enough for now, just wanted to give you a synopsis. There is so much more to share, but I will save that for another time. All I can say right now is that I am one happy little girl. I would have never dreamed any of this a mere 10 months ago?? :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Here are a few photos. The first three are of George Koskimaki and I. I don't like these of me, but oh well. :wacko:

MeGeorge.jpg

MeGeorge2.jpg

MeGeorge3.jpg

MarkBando.jpg

Mark Bando, historian

OurTable.jpg

Me - Don Straith is immediately to my right

Attached Files
.jpg   MeGeorge.jpg (Size: 37.72 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   MeGeorge2.jpg (Size: 26.41 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   MeGeorge3.jpg (Size: 27.83 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   MarkBando.jpg (Size: 31.58 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   OurTable.jpg (Size: 36.66 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

That was a great revue, it could be printed as first pages of your book and that book would get to 1st plce in no time at all

Proud papa Art

:pdt34:

Keep rubbing it in! :D What a great day you guys have had! The thought to be in a room with 50 of these guys...wel....'nuff said.....

Great story as usual, Marion! Wish I lived in the States when I read stories like this. All I'd do is go around interviewing vets, I bet. Well, yes, and have my wife bring home the bacon? <_<

Great Stuff. I hope you get to go to many more!!! Keep us posted!

Stevin

Marion,

Is that Frank Drebin sitting to the left (Person on right) in the picture of Mark Bando ?

I am not sure. I met so many people that day or they were pointed out to me and I can't remember. Sorry.

Marion J Chard

"You have now entered the boys domain!"

Good for you, Marion. I always thought it was more fun playing with the boys, anyway.

Marilyn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Normandy - The Airborne Invasion Of Fortress Europe sixgun 0 2,397 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Last Post: sixgun
  82nd airborne memorial walk Frank Gubbels 6 9,002 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Attending 101st Luncheon - 11-15-2009 Walt's Daughter 14 10,916 11-20-2009, 09:37 AM
  The Museum 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg ! sixgun 2 4,072 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
  New 101st ABD Memorial in Bastogne gbuscg 3 4,475 09-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  National Airborne Day - August 16 Walt's Daughter 4 5,360 08-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Battle of the Bulge - 87th and 101st Walt's Daughter 3 69,512 09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
  New 101st site? Walt's Daughter 28 21,060 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  George Koskimaki 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 5 8,037 03-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926
  Norm Neitzke - 101st Airborne Walt's Daughter 0 2,981 12-22-2005, 08:18 PM