American troops Scharding, Austria

Received this letter today from Austria.

Dear Mrs. Chard !

Does your father join the entry of the American troops to Austria at Schärding (on the river Inn), a village near Passau. ?

Do you have some photos or memories ? Please contact me. I am a researcher of my hometown .

Best regards and thank you very much for your help.

Mag. Anna Gugerbauer, Schärding, Austria

I replied with the following:

==============================

Dear Anna:

Thanks for writing. All the photos I have are on the web site on the photos pages. You can view them at any time. As I acquire new photos, I place them on the web from other people.

I will have to look up the names of the towns and villages in my NARA records for that period. I know they were in Berchtesgaden the first week of July and spent most of their time in Germany. If I find out anything, I will keep you posted.

I am currently writing a book on my dad's unit and the VI Corps Engineers. It will be at least several more months before I start pulling the data from my National Archive files for 1945.

I'd be happy to work with you. It's always great to have another connection.

You may want to join our Forum and place your request for information there. We have a lot of knowledgable folks and many veterans participate too. They may be able to help you.

Regards,

Marion Chard

I wrote back to her again a few minutes ago and gave her this info in the interim.

=============================

Here's a web page regarding the 65th Inf Div who were there. Will send anything I can find.

http://www.lonesentry.com/S8/index.html

Marion Chard

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
http://www.11tharmoreddivision.com/news/60...europe_tour.htm
Marion J Chard

Marion: I do have seveal pics of a Austrian town, half way between Berchtesgaden

and Salzburg but no recollation of the towns name. It was on a single railroad track

is all I can tell her. Here we used civilian houses (at wars end) as our billets for a short time, like a couple of months prior to moving to Germany. It was one of the most pleasant times in Europe. I always wished to go back to Austria above all other European countries I was in.

Joe have heard that about Austria several times. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Everything I have seen of it in pics and on TV seems to confirm this.
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American cemeteries overseas Frank Gubbels 29 34,299 03-17-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels
  War Footage - US Troops arriving in Britain sixgun 1 3,344 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  American Divisions Documentation Walt's Daughter 7 9,276 06-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  An American RAF Fighter Ace James Pickering 1 209,188 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926