3 books ETO and 540th

I just received three books this week (yes I'm treating myself!). I am always searching for any book that relates to the 540th Combat Engineers, and found three on the internet last week that make mention of my dad's unit.

The three are as follows:

Operation in North African Waters - October 1942-June 1943

Written by Samuel Eliot Morison

This is Volume II in the series - History of United States Naval Operations in World War II

Allies - Pearl Harbor to D-Day

Written by John S. D. Eisenhower

Yes you are correct this is Dwight D Eisenhower's son. He writes about the very successful Anglo-American military Alliance of WWII.

With Utmost Spirit - Allied Naval Operations in the Mediterranean, 1942-1945

Written by Barbara Brooks Tomblin

I got the books through Amazon.com. I can usually find really, really good deals there and once again it was proven to be true.

Since I just got them, I've only had time to do a rudimentary perusal, but will let you know what I think. Of course I am thrilled anytime I find more history of my father's unit, regardless of how big or how small. Ah, more research books for my book! :pdt34::pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Allies - Pearl Harbor to D-Day

Written by John S. D. Eisenhower

Yes you are correct this is Dwight D Eisenhower's son. He writes about the very successful Anglo-American military Alliance of WWII.

A few years back, I wanted to read a good book on the Mexican War in order to understand the background of all the generals in the Civil War. I read John Eisenhower's book "So Far From God". I enjoyed that book immensely.

Steve

"Poor Mexico: she is so close to the United States and so far from God."

Steve:

Can't wait to read it. Am doing so many other things and reading other books. I need more reading time, but that is not to be...

Really it was exciting to find these books, more exciting than most of you even realize for there is very little mention of engineers in any WWII books! In other words this is a gold mine, no matter how short the mention is!!

:drinkin:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An update by Don Burgett - 101st Airborne - all his books Walt's Daughter 3 5,222 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Read any good books lately? 3_7_I_Recon 9 8,579 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Last Post: chambers
  New books available at Military Books Walt's Daughter 0 2,637 07-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  After the Battle - Books and Magazines Walt's Daughter 0 2,768 06-12-2011, 07:24 AM
  Books written by veterans 3_7_I_Recon 16 20,211 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Self-published WWII books Walt's Daughter 2 4,274 10-07-2006, 08:45 AM
  WWII BOOKS Walt's Daughter 0 2,395 08-09-2006, 04:04 AM