Born on a Sunday

Has anyone read this book? I can't figure out if it's fiction or nonfiction. The information on it is kinda vague. It looks like a great read and it was suggested on a forum somewhere a while back and I could never find it for sale anywhere until this evening apparently directly from the autor in Colorado??

Let me know what you think.

Brooke

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...=283155&s=books

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:aoPK1...us&ct=clnk&cd=2

I did some hard core searching and couldn't come up with anymore info than you did.

Book Description

The saga of a soldier who served in both the German and American Armies.

Growing up in Germany during Hitler's reign, Hans Schemm was brain-washed in the Hitler Youth. Hans became an avid supporter of the system and couldn't wait until he would be old enough to serve in the Wehrmacht.

This novel shares Hans's wild and turbulent exerperiences fighting in Russia with and his utlimate escape from the German Army. After he enters the Unites States as a stow-away, Hans is soon drafted into the American Army and is shipped back to Germany!

An entertaining, informational, and often-true commentary on the author's incredibly interesting life.

About the Author

Herbert Schemmerling, having served in both the German and American Armies, shares his unique insights on war, life, and adventure. A member of the Hitler Youth, a tank gunner in the German Army, an immigrant to the United States, a member of the American Army, and ultimately a successul business owner, Herbert Schemmerling brings a wealth of talent, stories, and intrigue to his readers.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I read the book and loved it. It was sent to me as a gift from a German friend. She has a source for books like this, but I forgot what it is.

Jim :woof:

PS- I will email her to askl about getting another copy or two. ;)

I swear, you come up with the damnest things. Told you I swore! :lol::lol:

Marion J Chard

I swear, you come up with the damnest things. Told you I swore! :lol::lol:

And some of those things are actually worthwhile, but not many! :lol: Actually, I think I first mentioned this book on WBG site a few years ago. It is a true story and one that is worth reading. The author was a former Hitler Youth who eventually got his head on straight. Oddly enough, the mother of my friend was 11 years old in 1946, when she left Germany, and although she's been in the US all these years...still professes her admiration for Adolf Hitler, much to the embarrasment of her daughter (my friend). It is living proof of the psychological hold that Hitler had over the German people....so strong that it still has some older Germans under his "spell". :wacko:

Dogdaddy

Ah yes! Same thing applies across the board in this country or wherever to this day. Tis the promise to a man down under his luck. You can promise him ANYTHING and he will bow-wow-wow to your call. So sad, so true and so prophetic. Take a man down on his luck and promise him the world and turn around anything for him, and as long as he doesn't know the behind the scenes things it took, it doesn't matter. It was so easy to promise down and trodden Germany. They were sunk, experiencing inflation, depression... So they were easy prey. Mankind doesn't care about the "whole", only things that immediately pertain to them. Friggin' gullible to the hilt.

You could do the same thing now to people in America. If they think they are down, even if they truly aren't, give them a promise and screw the next person, they don't care. God it is so scary. Sometimes I hate being a history minor and knowing what I know.

Marion J Chard

The book can be ordered by sending a check for $21.95 to Herb Schemmerling, 4645 E. Montana Pl., Denver, CO 80222.

I found this on the second link I posted up there. I was curious as to why the guy would publish his home address on the web like that. If it is his home address? Seems like all it would do is encourage a bunch of harrassment. I wonder if I called him up on the phone I could persuade him to autograph it ..... :unsure:

It sounds really interesting. So it IS his auto-biography? I saw someplace where it was listed as fiction, though I had assumed it was a true story.

Can you imagine serving both countries like that? There are a couple fellows on feldgrau who have served in dual armed forces, one fellow in the German Panzer corp and the US Army, and another fellow in the WaffenSS and the Royal Netherlands Army. Absolutely facinating.

Brooke

Hey Jim, have you read Black Edelweiss, Johan Voss?

Hi Brooke!

Yes, Black Edelweiss was one of my faves also. I don't much care for most German WWII War Bios, as they are usually way too long and boring...but these two books were both well written and interesting.

The Forgotten Soldier was my first German perspective book I read and would like to read some more, but my library is limited in that area.

Brooke

Hey everyone, I called Mr. Schemmerling and left him a message a couple weeks ago. He called me back a few days later and I received my book yesterday.

It's a very interesting book. I'm glad I called. I had reservations about just calling the guy up out of the blue, but he was a nice friendly fellow.

Brooke