Something Intersting

I just found out something very interesting this morning while perusing my copy of "We Ripened Fast," the 76th Infantry Division History.

Major Genenral William R. Schmidt took command of the 76th in December, 1942 to start training the 76th for war. He commanded the 76th until August, 1945 when the 76th went "Category Four" (which apparently means that it was dissolved and it's troops assigned to other units.) Upon relenquishing command of the 76th General Schmidt took over command of... and this is very interesting due to some of the posters here... the 3rd Infantry Division.

I am sure you supplied this info before, but when did you leave the 3rd, j3rdinf?

I just found this kind of interesting since my grandpa was in the 76th from March, '45 until August '45, and I was able to find this out due in large part to tips given to me by j3rdinf, formerly of the 3rd (as well as others who advised me in my quest.)

Onway (Milsurp) you are absolutely correct. M.G. Schmidt was the C.G. of the 3rd Inf Div from Aug. 45 to May 46. M..G. O' Daniels was commanding gen of the 3rd Inf Div

from Jan 45 to July 45, plus another earlier bit as C.G. of the 3rd Inf Div. a little earlier also. On the waiting for our "points" to come up to go home we had many replacements come in from other Divisions. (also waiting as we left for the LONG trip home, which sometimes took months in different "made up" outfits" also waiting with us.

Actually I forget the date when I left the 3rd Inf when I started the slow triphome from one "made up" outfit to another, but I believe it was around , but believe it was around

late Dec. '45 or later. Having only joined the 3rd in France, a few campaigns, not being married and no children I was a bit shy of "reurning home points" for quick return. However I was glad to see the married vets and those with children get the extra "go

home points" which I think was proper.. Hell, the war was over, I was young and single

and alive. What difference did another month or so mean..

However I was glad to see the married vets and those with children get the extra "go

home points" which I think was proper.. Hell, the war was over, I was young and single

and alive. What difference did another month or so mean..

What a Class Act.. :pdt34:

Jim :drinkin:

Grandpa was about 20 and was married with two kids, my uncle and my dad. according to his discharge he still only had 51 points upon discharge.

He was actually in transport to begin fighting the Japanese when the war ended with Japan.

According to points he had a way to go.