"Stick" u say?

I posted the following question on Mark Bando's site earlier today. Here's what I asked:

Okay I know what "stick" is, but what I don't know is how the term came about. I have even asked members of the 101st and even the guys at the 326th Reunion this week, and they didn't know either. Anyone have a answer for all of us?

Went back to the forum later in the day and lo and behold, who should answer my question but Don Burgett from the 101st. Thanks Don, as usual you're the best.

"Stick,"

Was coined during WWII when bombers entered the conflict. Bombs were installed in tube like affairs in two racks with their fuse end up and exposed, their fin ends down, one rack running along the floor on either side of the the inside of the bomber

A "Bombardier" would move between the two racks of bombs and "cut" or arm the fuses to go off immediately on contact or delayed. In time the bombardiers came to call the two rows of bombs "sticks" of bombs. The bombers could or would, if needed, drop one or two "sticks" at a time or as needed.

The Germans continued this practice into WWII on bombers carrying "sticks" of bombs so they could "cut" the fuses just before the drop. Watch old WWII newsreels of Germans dropping "sticks" of bombs; you will see the bombs drop fin first, turn almost imediately and head earthward nose first.

The term "stick" was later applied to two lines of paratroopers in a troop carrier plane during WWII, one stick on either side of the inside fusalage, to be dropped as needed as were the sticks of bombs. The term "stick" still applies.

Credit to WWII German Bombardiers.

The term "cut" a fuse came from the practice of actually cutting a fuse inserted into a muzzel loading cannonball to a guestimated length with a knife to explode at a given time after firing from the cannon. The term "cut" still applies even though "cutting" a fuse today on a bomb or artillery shell is done with a wrench.

Donald R. Burgett

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"