The Padre and the Bikie!!

:pdt34::pdt34::pdt34:

World War Story #1 The Padre

One time when we were attached to Intel they put two of us with an MP traffic control location because the Kraut stragglers had been mixing in the convoys after dark and then disappearing when the time was right.

This was a real small town,nothing more than the cross road and an auberge(inn),which the locals visited and we knew some of them were sympathizers. We would scout around at night and early morning looking for "stragglers" that would come out at these times and had some success getting some for Intel data.

Each morning the Parde would come down the road so far,stop and yell out who he was and ask permission to go to his church for a Morning Mass. We got to know him pretty good and he was very happy the GIs were taking over the area. I always spoke with him in French (as a door opener and so he would be partial to us) and as he said "now I can feel safe" - he told us even the Gendarmes were Kraut sympathizers.

One morning he asked me to walk along with him to the Church and although puzzled I went along. When we got to and area that nobody could hear us he asked me "Do you know that you are being watched day and night?". My ears perked up quick as a wink. When the Bikie that picked up the messages came by, I told him to pass the word to the CP ASAP. A much larger detail was sent and we rounded up the "watchers" before they knew what hit them. The Padre had given us the location of the farmhouse they were living in.

Much to everybody's surprise two different idiots from Intel had each assigned a team to do exactly what we were doing and they were planning on getting help to take us out. Thus a catastrophe was averted. I was NOT KILLED!!

WW II Story #2 The Bikie!!

At this same cross road as I said above a Bikie came by to pick up messages etc. and to see if we needed ammo etc. Myself and the other man were talking to him when "ZIP" a shell went between us and lodged in the tree. We had no idea where it can from so we decided to take off ASAP. The Bikie had a rack over his rear wheel so my buddy and I squeezed on to that(almost flattened the tire) but we got the hell out of there. We stopped about a mile down the road and the Bikie started to laugh like a fool and comes out with this remark "I'll bet the Kraut that shot at us is laughing his a** off at what we must have looked like getting the hell out of there". Never did catch that b**s***d!!

Sgtleo -o--o--o-

Now that's something to picture. You need to write a book. I'll be first in line to read it. You're a great story-teller! :pdt34::pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

After a while when we calmed down we realized that we could have gotten killed with the 3 of us on the bike which was what the Kraut had intended in the first place.

No wonder the Frogs and the Krauts thought we were physcos. Every time I think of one of these stories I wonder why in H**L we didn't kill ourselves.

Got my thinking cap on!!

Oops just remembered what we did to a 2nd ASTO Lt. at Devens. Stand by

Sgtleo

We'll be waiting for the next chapter... Get the :coffee: pot going Sarge!

Marion J Chard

This is good stuff, keep it coming!!

Brooke

Hey, I just got to thinking. Glad you guys were all skinny back then. I can't imagine if the two of you had some pounds on the back of that thing... :lol:

Marion J Chard

Yes, they were skinny!!

That reminded me of some old newspapers I found from 1945. There was an ad in them for a drink guaranteed to make you GAIN weight!! Can you believe this?

What a change, I can't watch television for 10 minutes now that there aren't diet pill commercials on.

Brooke

:o:lol::rolleyes:

If I hadn't fit on the back of that bike and since we didn't know where the sniper was you can bet your everloving *** I would have out run the bike on my own!!

That SOB was really trying to hurt us and I don't play with people like that!!

Sgtleo :pdt12::pdt:

Darlin' I believe you would have done anything possible on this God's earth to get the hell out of there. At times like those, one cannot be choosy about the methodology! Run, Spot, run... All I can say is that I am very happy that you are here relaying this story to me 60 plus years later. "Nuff" said. Seriously, too much to think about and truly just grateful that you can relay this to me. AMEN!

Marion J Chard