Received this letter yesterday.

Marion,

Greetings from the Colville Indian Reservation in

Washington State. I am a local historian here on the

reservation and have taken interest in our veterans

who have fought in wars. I've always been intrigued

with "Easy Company" since I was young, but not until

recently have I started to research two known Colville

Tribal members who were a part of that valiant group.

I was browsing your web site and came across your

correspondence with Don Burgett and couldn't help but

notice that he was in A Company. Private Phillip

Broncheau, Colville Tribal member, fought and died in

WWII and was also member of A Company. What

information do you have on Phillip? What does Don

remember of him?

You might find it ironic that Phillip is buried at the

Chief Joseph Cemetery in Nespelem, WA, literally feet

from the final resting place of our legendary Chief

Joseph.

I am meeting with Earl McClung tonight. He was also a

member of Easy Company and is also a Colville Tribal

member. I'm sure he can give me some information but

it's always good to get varying accounts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Michael Finley

Colville Tribal member

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I wrote back to Phillip and forwarded the email to Don. Today I heard back from Don. Ah, another happy ending to a search. Small and wonderful world. Once again thanks to the internet for making this all possible.

Don if you are reading this, God bless you sir for all your help and your continued friendship. It's a great feeling putting people together. Here's to the CHIEF! :pdt34:

Michael Finley,

A close friend, Marion Chard, of Michigan, hard working champion of all veterans, passed your email on to me feeling that I knew Phillip Broncheau of A Co., 506. Marion is right, I did know Phillip Broncheau, not well as a best friend of months or years but very well as one Trooper to another.

Broncheau, (we always called each other by our last or Family names,) came to our Company just a day before our ride to Bastogne and another "Rendezvous with Destiny." I described our first meeting in my book "Seven Roads to Hell," page 37 and following pages, Presidio Press in hard cover, the same title published by Random House in paperback. Seven Roads to Hell is still available in book stores in paperback. I am not pushing my book but Broncheau's and my first meeting is described as I recall it from my heart and memory.

We were just recently out of 72 continuous days of combat in Holland and sorely in need of trooper replacements and new weapons. Our new or old repaired weapons had not yet arrived; but new replacements came in a constant stream, for we had lost many men in 72 straight days of battle. Phillip Broncheau was one of the last to arrive before "The Battle of the Bulge," erupted. Many such men as your Phillip Broncheau came to us in large groups at that time and we had no way to record their names on the Company roster before the "Bulge" happened and we were loaded into open semi-cattle trucks and raced to Bastogne to hold that city. Our last order on leaving was " You will hold at all costs. There will be no surrender, no withdrawal."

At that time no one including our command knew just where our destination was to be. They knew only that the entire American front had collapsed and in full retreat, and the 101st Abn. div. had to stop and hold the enemy in place. We detrucked in a small town named "Champs" slept in an open field that night below freezing, without blankets and walked five miles into Bastogne before daylight the next morning 19 December 1944.

First Bn. including Company A did make the attack into Noville 19 december 1944 approximately 13:30 hrs. while 3rd Bn., 506 dug in at Foy as secondary line of defense. Second Bn. including the now famous "Easy" Company stayed billeted in barns and houses in the outskirts of Bastogne in a suburb known as "Luzery," as reserve. Easy Company along with most of the second Bn. remained in and close around Luzery until after the first week of January 1945 when we all made a coordinated attack back into Noville.

Our first Bn. held Noville for better than 24 hours against heavy artillery and German armor. Company A was reduced from approximately 160 men 19 December 1944 in our initial attack into heavy odds of enemy troops, armor, and incoming artillery in the first four and one half hours. We held through the night and on 20 December 1944 we were ordered to withdraw from Noville to Luzery where we would take positions on line.

Noville had been surrounded during the night and we had to fight our way out, carrying our wounded with us. It was in the dead of night and dark as the inside of a whale when we had fought our way back to Luzery to re-group. We reformed into Companies, platoons and squads, then counted troops present. Many were missing but we, at that time did not who was prisoners, wounded, or KIA.

It was weeks later that we received a body count, Phillip Broncheau was among the KIA in our first hour of attack into Noville. With so many new replacements at that time I never recalled his name or could find his name for years afterward. We referred to him as "Chief" as is the custom with all American Indians coming into the military. Sherwood Trotter, an American Indian who was in our company from its conception made all the missions and survived the war. Trotter became an airborne firefighter after the war, I believe in Colorado for years, retired and passed away about three years ago.

I recall that "Chief" 'Broncheau' was quiet and eager to enter combat very unafraid. He never hesitated but was among the very first troopers heading east on the Bourcy Road out of Noville into the oncoming enemy and tanks under command of German SS General Pieper. We lost most of our men in that initial attack with so much artillery hitting, Phillip Broncheau was among those killed at that time.

I am so very sorry that his name went unknown for so long, but so did many, many others due to the situation of coming out of prolonged battle in Holland. The sudden breakthrough attack of The Battle of the Bulge and no time to record names of new replacements. There are names, 62 years later, that are still unknown. But still showing up.

Phillip Broncheau was a quiet hero. A man, who, if he had lived, would have been a trooper one could count on. A man who would have gone down in the history of the 101st Airborne Division, First Battalion, Company A as a warrior.

Phillip Broncheau did honor to his people and tribe.

Michael Finley, you may thank Marion Chard for her web site, her consideration and her quick action. I thank her for allowing me the honor of writing you in regards to Paratrooper Phillip Broncheau, A Co., 506 Rgt., 101st Screaming Eagle Airborne Division. Hero.

You may email me at the above email address, or by snail mail:

(left off for privacy)

Currahee, (506 Rgt.)

Donald R. Burgett

Marion J Chard

What a wonderful end to this story! Thanks to Marion and Don B. for helping Michael Finley...

I have passed through Nespelum every year for nearly 45 years now, on my way to Twin Lakes Resort, on the Colville Reservation and was unaware that the tribe had two members of the 101rst. I might have read about Earl living there and forgotten about it until now too. Interesting story! :pdt34:

:woof: DD

Got this from Don and Michael yesterday.

Marion,

After all these years "Chief" has a name. Phillip Broncheau and a decendant

from American Indian Royalty. Too bad he had to go so young, as did so many

others.

Thanks for all, Don Burgett

==============================

Thank you Marion! I received it and sent a reply back

to Don. It was absolutely great and am happy to have

received it. I appreciate your assistance.

Keep up your pursuit in honoring our veterans.

Lim Lemt (Thank you)

Michael Finley

==============

Don,

Thanks ever so much for sharing Broncheau's story with me. I have the utmost respect for the like you, Broncheau, Earl "One Lung" McClung, and the rest of the troops, who sacrificed so much to give us the freedom we have today. It's unfortunate that so many war heros such as Broncheau get overlooked, but thanks to people such as yourself, they're not forgotten. I want you to know that his name will not be forgotten.

I am co-authoring a book on the prominent Chief Kamiakin. He was Palouse/Yakama Indian and his descendants moved to the Colville Reservation shortly before 1900. They intermarried extensively with the families of Chief Joseph and Moses. Phillip was somewhere in that ancestry, and likely descendant of those Indians who fought in the Nez Perce War or the Plateau Indians Wars of the 1850s.

They are a proud and brave group, just like the 506th, so it doesn't surprise me that your recollection of Phillip is that he was a brave and valiant man. He is buried in the same cemetery as Chief Joseph in Nespelem, Washington, literally feet away from him.

In my book we are adding an epilogue, or ending, in which we are honoring the descendants that came after Chief Kamiakin, Joseph and Moses. With your permission, I would like to use your account of Phillip in our book. From every account he seemed like the most magnificent person and deserves recognition.

Thanks again for sharing "Chief Broncheau's" story with me.

I look forward to hearing from you again. Earl "One Lung" McClung is in town (Inchelium) right now visiting relatives. He is half Colville Indian.

Lim Lemt (Thank you), Michael Finley

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Santa Rosa woman helps honor bomber crew 70 years later Walt's Daughter 0 2,564 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  60-something years later - putting in touch Walt's Daughter 3 5,387 01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
  61 years ago today twobisquit 1 2,743 05-06-2006, 10:21 PM