Paris August '44

:pdt40: :pdt40:

Paris and the FFI:-

This is what I remember about the FFI, Gen. DeGaulle and the taking of Paris in mid August 1944 because we were in Chartres about 40K away and awaiting orders on the next move for the units that were halted in the area at that time. There was "no resistance" ??? between Chartres and Paris at this time. The question - To Paris or not?

Gen. DeGaulle,the true French leader saw the FFI uprising in Paris as a Communistic bid to seize political power. He called for an immediate Allied drive into Paris. August 20, DeGaulle met with Gen. Eisenhower who gave him no encouragement. Eisenhower was wary of committing troops to what would be costly street fighting in and around the historic buildings in the city. Gen Ike preferred to bypass Paris which he felt would force the Krauts to pull out.

In desperation,Gen. Degaulle ordered MG Jacques LeClerc,CO of the French 2nd Armored Div to detach his men etc from Gen. Bradley's 12th Army Group and advance on his own. Later that day a small French Armored Force moved out of the Normandy orchards towards Paris.

The FFI leader in Paris "Col. Rol"(Henri Tanguy) had already given orders to his followers and some 400 barricades built out of just about everthing but the kitchen sink were set up and the firing began and gasoline cocktails thrown against the Krauts. Gen. Eisenhower now realized that a bloody battle was in the offing so he contacted Gen. Bradley and told him that the GIs were to now go into the city. Gen Bradley released the French 2nd Armored officially to follow its small spearhead force and at the same time he assigned the US 4th ID to move on August 22,1944.

Resistance then became strong and the weather was bad. LeClerc's men fought hard to find a crack in the Krauts defenses and succeded about 10:30PM on August 24th and by midnight they were in position in front on the Hotel de Ville(City Hall).

The next few days were a real screwed up mess because many of the troops were being greeted by the people with food and wine and kisses etc. while othere were in skirmishes with "diehard Krauts". On August 25th the Krauts formally surrendered but there were still pockets of fighting in the city. Even when Gen. DeGaulle marched down the Champs Elysees snipers were still trying to get him but he stood tall and ignored them.

Overall some 20,000 Kraut troops were captured and others were retreating but Paris was free again.

Sgtleo :rolleyes:

Ah, more politics! Vive La France! Pour l’amour de Dieu !

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Qu'est que c'est!! Vous n'aimez pas cette histiore de Paris!

Mon Dieu vous est tres dificile Je pense.

Je suis decu!

Apres ca - Rien que Bon Nuit

Sgtleo

Non, non. I DO like Paris history. B) I was pointing out how everything always seems to come back to politics. Oh Mon Dieu! :lol: If it wasn't for politicians and a--kissing, then wars could be fought on a much different level. I know we're all in aggreement on that! :pdt34:

Maybe I'd be better off sticking to English! :lol::lol::banghead:

Marion J Chard

:pal::direct:

Si vous ne parle que anglais ca serai dommage.

Rapplez le Francias ca serai mieux

A Bientot

Sgtleo

Qui, I will try both. It will rub out some of the rough edges I hope. N'est pas?

Many times I have to use the help of a translator to write. Reading of course is much easier. I bought French books and CD's a while back to get into practice. Unfortunately, I have tres little time to study at all. But someday... Right now most of my time is spent working and of course maintaining this site and the forum and writing my livre. Research, research, research. Chercher le matériel.

Marion J Chard

Le mot n'est pas "Qui" mais il est "Oui".

Vous avez user un mot pas correct! Allez a votre chambre et ecrire cet mot mille temps et retourner ici a bientot.

Quelle diable!!

Sgtleo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Trip to Paris jim armstroong 0 2,029 08-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Last Post: jim armstroong