The Rangers

:pdt::pdt::pdt::pdt:

If you can stand my stories here's a couple more!!

Thought you may or may not have read this data - hope you do!!

Another part of the Omaha Beach History:-2 scenarios

The assault by the Rangers on the Pointe du Hoc was a bad situation all around!

The Intel was wrong when they said that there was a battery on the headland 30 meters high(100 ft)aimed at Utah/Omaha because when the Rangers reached the top there was NO battery there. There was one further inland but that was not properly manned and the story was the two(2) Rangers managed to "spike the barrels" and render the battery useless.

According to the data we had there were ONLY 90 men of the ORIGINAL 226 standing at the end of two(2) days of intense fighting. If my memory is correct it was the 101 AB that linked up with the Rangers on the Vivre River.

The Rangers of Pointe du Hoc

"Located Pointe du Hoc, Mission accomplished, Need ammunition and reinforcements, Many casualties." --Lt. Col. James Rudder, 2nd Ranger Battalion, D-Day message

Between Utah and Omaha Beaches stands a large promontory called Pointe du Hoc. Allied planners learned the Germans had placed a battery of 155 mm howitzers here. With a firing range of 14 miles, these guns threatened the assault forces on both American beaches.

Allied planners gave two battalions of U.S. Army Rangers the job of neutralizing the German guns. These elite troops were trained to make an amphibious landing on the beach in front of Pointe du Hoc, scale its 100-foot cliffs, and destroy the German battery.

On D-Day the Rangers, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel James Rudder, used rocket-propelled grappling hooks attached to ropes and ladders to climb the cliffs. As they worked their way up, the Germans dropped grenades on them and cut some of their ropes. Still, within five minutes, the Rangers made it to the top and drove off the defenders.

They then made a startling discovery,the German guns were missing. Sergeant Len Lomell and two other Rangers scouted inland. A short distance away they found the guns. They quickly destroyed them.

By 9:00 A.M. the Rangers had accomplished their mission. But for the next two days they faced intense German counterattacks. The 2nd Ranger Battalion took over 50 percent casualties.

"We fired our rockets with the grappling hooks two at a time. Some ropes didn't make it to the top of the cliff.... the enemy cut some, but we did have enough of them... to get the job done. I was the last one in from my boat, and when I finally got to the base, there was a rope right in front of me, so I started to go up.... The enemy was shooting at us, and throwing grenades by the bushel basketful." --Cpt. James Eikner, 2nd Ranger Battalion.

Sgtleo :clappin::clappin::clappin:

It is fantastic to this day to watch programs and to read documentation on our rangers. Simply fantastic. Talk about fortitude. A very special breed of men who opposed all odds and overcame them. NO, was not in their vocabulary. :pdt33:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I hope this doesn't sound crass and make me like a braggard but recently I was able to help a woman find out all she needed to know plus more about her Dad.

He was a member of the 2nd Ranger battalion and she and her family had zip about her Dad who had passed away. By sheer luck I was able to help her locate a man who had been in her Dad's Co. and they were going to meet face to face.

That is something I am going to remember forever because I could just feel the excitement of her and her brothers with what they were going to learn about their Dad when they started out they had as I said zip.

I think I was as excited as they were and that gave me a great feeling I can't describe even if I tried.

Sgtleo

Oh hell, that doesn't sound BRAGGART at all. I can share so many GOOD STORIES that have occured over the last 2 years because of this site. I have the good fortune to be on the giving side of these and feel so lucky and blessed to be part of the continuum.

I myself, and I am sure you feel the same way, am happy to be a conduit in the bigger puzzle. Yes, it's a feeling that is too hard to really describe. To know that you have brought that much joy into someone's life is reward enough. The letters I receive from people will always hold a very special place in my heart. :wub:

To me it can't merely be an accident or luck. Too many incidents recently have given me a whole new perspective.

Marion J Chard

One of the most prized items I have in my WWII collection is a letter from Lt. (then a Sgt.) Len Lomell, which I received as a reply to a letter I had written him about a year ago. Here is a small portion: "The 5 Big guns of Pt. Du Hoc that I destroyed in their alternate position by 8:30AM on D-Day morning were 155mm French made coastal artillary long-range howitzers, that could fire 10 to 12 miles (underlined). They could reach all ships of the invasion fleet and all invasion beaches as well."

:woof: Jim

Yep, real pieces of history not found in text books. ;)

Marion J Chard

I hope this doesn't sound crass and make me like a braggard but recently I was able to help . . .

Shoot no. That ain't bragging. That is why we are all here. One of the main reasons I visit and read all the posts is to see if I might have one little bit of info that I can give to someone who is researching or willing to learn more.

We need more Helpers like you.

Steve