Stalingrad 2003 Mini-series

To look at the cover of this DVD one could easily confuse it with the Action/Drama movie production of the same title, but it's not. This documantary runs 165 minutes and is very well produced and edited. It was originally broadcast in both Germany & Russia in 2003, but this version is all translated into English with the help of a narrator, rather than subtitles, which can be a pain at times. Contains alot of archive footage as well as veteran interviews (mostly with German survivors). This has often been called "the Greatest Battle of WWII". While many could disagree with that, it was certainly a turning-point on the Eastern front, with Hitler's troops being soundly defeated and exposed as something less than 'super.' Costs about $30 new, but worth it to anyone interested in Eastern front battles. Informative as well as entertaining IMHO B)

:woof:

post-24-1155849330_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 349.25 KB / Downloads: 0)

Thank you. I appreciative all the time you put into our forum. Always posting about films and websites, etc. Always good stuff. BTW, I got the video today. Hubby and I say BIG THANKS. Can't wait to view it.

Stalingrad was indeed one of the biggest campaigns fought and one of the ones with the most consequences for the outcome of WWII. Think if Russia had been overcome!!! Wow! The Russian people held their own. Such devastation. They would not give up. God bless them. Just like the British. Ya, bomb the hell out of us. We'll take it. Such spirit.

In college I used to play board wargames and Stalingrad was one of them. You get such a great feel for the scope of the war, the campaign, the odds. You learn a lot by playing wargames.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you very much for the praise...I am happy to have this site to contribute to...it's the best! I am happy also to hear someone else giving the Russian people their dues. I have become very good friends with a guy in the Ukraine who published his late grandfather's war-Bio on the site called "I Remember," and have learned so much about the heart of those people and their love for 'The Motherland.' One of the first things Max told me was "none of them died with the name of Stalin on their lips." They were stuck with him, but fought fiercely for their modest farms and families. Perhaps one of the more sinister chapters in that war was the seige of Leningrad, when the nazis bombed and shelled the ice-road across Lake Ladoga, which prevented women and children from fleeing and blocked what small amounts of food that were being brought in. Damn! I start getting P-O'ed every time I think about Nazis! God Bless the USA, Britain, Russia and Canada for kicking their behinds back to Berlin!

Hope you and hubby enjoy the DVD! :lol:

:woof: Daddy

Don't forget the new movie just released on DVD "Stalingrad". It is a German film released in 2006 with English subtitles. I wasn't sure if this movie had been mentioned on this site.

Steve

Don't forget the new movie just released on DVD "Stalingrad". It is a German film released in 2006 with English subtitles. I wasn't sure if this movie had been mentioned on this site.

Steve

There is also an older (made in 1958) German version available on VHF called "Stalingrad...Dogs! Do you want to live forever?" This too is very entertaining!

:woof: Jim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "SHOOTOUT" History Channel Series afc7883 0 3,404 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Last Post: afc7883
  Hero Ships - The History Channel Series Walt's Daughter 0 4,361 09-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter