Need advice on CIB

Hi:

If anyone read the latest post in "New Additions" dated 10-11-04, then you know about the CIB and the Bronze Star Medal. Anyway, in order to get his medals replaced and to apply for the Bronze Star, I have to send in a copy of his discharge papers. Well, that's no problem. But for some reason, my dad's CIB wasn't on his discharge papers. I don't know why. I have the CIB in my possession and know he received it in the Ardennes/Alsace Campaign. Can anyone give me some advice and info on this? Greatly appreciated.

I have his:

• European Theatre Ribbon
  • American Theatre Ribbon
  • Good Conduct Medal
  • CIB
  • Victory Medal
  • Expert Sniper Badge (Rifle and Bayonet)
On his papers it lists:
  • Good Conduct Medal
  • European Theatre Ribbon
  • Victory Medal
Thanks everyone.

Additional. Just discussing the dates on the phone with Paul T, and it appears that the Army may have screwed up on the arrival/departure dates too. For instance, they have him leaving in 21 April 43 for North Africa, but not arriving until 2 Sep 43. Just some inconsistencies like this leave me wondering. :blink:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

A bit more info here. Wrote to my friend at the Army Corps of Engineers. This is what he said:

Dear Marion,

Here is the current regulation regarding the CIB. It seems to confine the award to infantrymen, but with some possibilities for soldiers in other branches. Your best bet is to contact the Army's Institute of Heraldry. I found no e-mail address, but here is how you can reach them:

Institute of Heraldry

9325 Gunston Road, Room S-112

Fort Belvoir, Virginia 22060-5579

(703) 806-4972

I'd be interested in learning what you find out. Incidentally, some time after WWII, CIB awardees were entitled also to the Bronze Star Medal. A couple of men I know who served in the war were surprised to find that they were eligible for the medal. One was delighted, the other thought it was quite unnecessary.

Mike

For more info on the CIB read this link: Combat Infantry Badge

Marion J Chard

I replied to my friend and said,

"Thank you once again. Will write to them this week and see what I can find out. Boy it certainly appears to ruffle a few people and seems to have a lot of mystery attached to it to. One gentleman told me that maybe I shouldn't even "go there" and that I was opening a whole can of worms. Well I guess I'll just have to shake a few feathers and rattle a few cans. <grins and smiles>

I will keep you posted. Can't wait to hear what they have to say."

He wrote back,

"It does sound like a can of worms, but probably one that should be opened..."

My response,

"Yes, I do plan on opening the can. I think all the vets who earned one need to have the facts clarified. It's a shame when people go around and try to dispute what happened. Especially those who weren't there and don't have all the facts straight. So I take on another job and hopefully I rectify the wrongs. All I can do is try. Essayons! The motto fits. Guess I got the "engineer" genes. :-)"

"Essayons indeed! You will be doing a great favor to some deserving veterans if you can ascertain that they are entitled to the CIBs they have--or should have... I agree that decorations being disputed by those who weren't there is reprehensible."

And so the journey begins...

Marion J Chard

Marion,

I am running out of stories so I was looking at some old posts on the CIB subject from last October, which I had read before, but to which I didn't feel it was proper to make a smart ass reply.

But for lack of anything better to say, I now have to say this: I was aware that having earned the CIB long ago, I was now entitled to another OLC to my bronze star medal. But after looking at my shadow box, I see that my bronze star medal already has 3 bronze OLCs on its ribbon and there is no room for a fourth. Rather than try to solve that problem, I decided to forget it!

Russ Cloer

Ah Russ. The subject of the CIB seems to be as hot a topic as is Berchtesgaden. :o

I wish my dad was here to tell me exactly how and when he acquired his...

As for topics of conversation, I say we temporarily take a change of course and jump over to the movie and TV section. Are you game? I'd like to hear your opinions on what war movies you thought were on the mark, and which ones should be thrown away with the dishwater. :D

Marion J Chard

Marion,

Have you tried

https://veteranmedals.army.mil/

papa

Well unfortunately that won't help, I need the records from my dad's regiment showing me when he received the CIB. It's just a matter of curiosity on my part. I have his CIB in my possession.

We have all the general info on the CIB, what we are all fighting for here is the right of some of the engineer guys who fought as infantry to get theirs, but it doesn't look promising. :(

We already have a topic related to this here. It's "pinned" under this same heading, Anything WWII.

http://208.56.11.96/Invision/index.php?showtopic=537

Marion J Chard

Marion: According to AR 672-5-1 . Section II . Combat and special badges, 5-7, Combat Infantryman Badge a. Eligibility Requirements... One must have served in a Infantry unit of Brigade, Regimental, or smaller sized unit in active ground combat. Battle participation credit alone is not sufficient. One must be a Col. in rank or lower.

ONE MUST HAVE A INFANTRY MOS. Seems like in later wars/conflicts it may have changed somewhat. Also, for (at least) ww 2, a $10.00 per month "stipend) was given

until (???). A BSM was also awarded after ww 2 for all that had qualified for the CIB

but one had to write to St. Louis for it. It came with a "Ammendment" to ones discharge.

Ah yes, but many combat engineers DO have the CIB, as my dad does. What we are all trying to resolve is the total inconsistency. Why did some who fought as infantry for periods of a time get them, and the others didn't? Just doesn't make sense! :wacko:

Marion J Chard

Marion: Only thing I can figure is he must have served at some time in the ETO) as a

Infantryman with a Infantry MOS as according to Reg. Requirements : one MUST have a Infantry MOS to be awarded the CIB. This is clearly stated in the Regs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice from a friend Walt's Daughter 2 6,603 03-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Last Post: chucktoo