World War II Watches

Kyle wanted to know more about WWII watches. Here's some info for all. I have a replica watch that one of my vet buddies gave me. Mine is all black with white numbers (12 and 24 hour) with white hands including the second sweep.

There were many different watch makers, so the models do vary. Vets, tell us about your watches. Does anyone still have theirs?

http://www.nextten.com/store/watchesandclo...sWWIIWatch.aspx

http://www.antiquevintagewatches.com/milit...ry-watches.html

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/63488.asp...p?promo=apparel

http://www.smithsonianstore.com/catalog/pr...roductId=12098&

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks a bunch,

I will definetly look at these sites. I want to keep my uniform as authentic as possible.

Kyle

What WW 2 watches? Cant say as I was ever issued one. How about you Roque?

Wonder who was issue them?? I had the same watch from civilian life. Maybe I

just missed out on this issue of watches.

What WW 2 watches?

Good question. I refer to them as "Army watches". I always assumed that the Army issued watches that were built to a military specification and would perform under rugged conditions. I don't know if they were actually "issued" or had to be purchased. If the latter, then I guess many were purchased direct from civilian sources rather than, say, from a PX.

Bascially, they all had the same boring OD look, if you know what I mean.

Steve

My issue watch as a company commander was an Elgin. Never had any trouble with it. When I left the 48th I signed a "Statement of Charges" for it, They took $17 out of my next pay. On the way home not more that a week later I laid it on a shelf in the shower hut in a transit camp near Marsailles. When I finished my shower some one had lifted my watch. I hope the ticks deficated on his arm AL :joker:

AL,

Thanks for your story. I have read that Officers and NCOs were issued those type watches. Is that true for the most part? THe only reason I ask the question is my uncle was an NCO and was wondering if maybe he would have had one. I re-enact as him and just want to portray him in an accurate way not the TV or movie way. THat is why I post all my questions to the vets. You all are a fountain of knowledge and I ma willing to listen and learn.

I hope I didnt hit a bad thread with some, that sure wasnt my intention.

Kyle

My issue watch as a company commander was an Elgin. Never had any trouble with it. When I left the 48th I signed a "Statement of Charges" for it, They took $17 out of my next pay. On the way home not more that a week later I laid it on a shelf in the shower hut in a transit camp near Marsailles. When I finished my shower some one had lifted my watch. I hope the ticks deficated on his arm AL

Al, I hope they deficated on his arm too! Lice would be a nice touch also! :pdt12: What jerks. Takes all kinds and they certainly prevailed in the army too. :pdt34:

I know millions of watches were issued to the military, and I'm sure most of those went to officers, such as yourself.

Marion J Chard

I'm not sure if this is an Army watch or not. This is the watch my Uncle was wearing when he was hit by a burst from a German machine gun in Germany in February 1945. The watch was stopped at the time he was hit(but notice that the face has rotated out of position).

The other items are bullet fragments removed from him during surgery.

watch.jpg

Pvt Clyde Hill, a replacement with

Company C, 119th Regiment

30th 'Ole Hickory' Division.

My first reaction, "Whoa!" That is really something. I hate to even think about it. Amazing what it did to the watch itself. I don't want to imagine what he did to his insides. :unsure:

Marion J Chard
I was not issued a watch untill I became company commander. Only one in the company. Perhaps Infantry units issued more as time coordination was more critical. AL

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENGLISH DESCRIPTION OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL (World War II) Walt's Daughter 0 2,753 12-05-2015, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  World War II History Network - Scott Lyons Walt's Daughter 1 2,750 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Honoring World War II Foot Soldiers Walt's Daughter 0 2,223 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
  World War II, Korean vets get their medals Walt's Daughter 1 2,874 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
  Rare World War 2 Footage Compilation: All in colour ! sixgun 1 3,172 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  World War II - How it Ended! Walt's Daughter 1 2,893 09-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  World War II vet, 86, finally gets his medals Walt's Daughter 3 4,151 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  France hails San Mateo man for World War II service Walt's Daughter 0 2,015 12-06-2009, 10:21 AM
  World War II Soldier found & reburied civilwargal 9 8,286 07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  World War 2 In A Cave (little Tour) Frank Gubbels 0 3,705 07-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels