Lt Stancy Lewis

This veteran's son has compiled the records about his father's experience in Italy. His father didn't talk much about it so most of what he knows is from the records of his promotion and citation for the Bronze Star Medal.

As you read this, be praying for Mr. Lewis and his entire family, as he has been diagnosed with a fatal disease.

Lt. Stancy Lewis, Co. B, 310th Combat Engineer Battalion,

Stancy was born in Marshalburg, North Carolina. He was inducted at Ft. Bragg N.C. and after basic training, he transfered to Camp Shelby, MS, and began training with Company B, 310th Combat Engineers of the 85th "Custer" Infantry Division. He entered the war in North Africa, as a Staff Sergeant and was later promoted to an officer during the campaign in Italy.

Sgt or Lt Stancy Lewis in Italy

Lt-Lewis1.jpg

Recommendation for promotion to Officer.

General Order dated 12 Sept 1944. (Quoting only a portion of it.)

On or about 20 May 1944, Sgt. Lewis' platoon accompanied a force on an amphibious operation from GAETA, ITALY to SPERLONGA, ITALY. During the voyage the amphibious vehicle in which Sgt. Lewis and approximately half of his platoon were riding sank. Sgt. Lewis kept the group together, encourage and sought assistance for the poor swimmers and was largely responsible for the lack of panic which prevented a large number of casualties.

On or about 21 August 1944, his platoon was engaged in clearing the streets of EMPOLI, ITALY for the passage of traffic, when his platoon leader stepped on a mine. Sgt. Lewis saw to the evacuation of the officer, took over the platoon and completed the task at hand, despite the presence of numerous mines and intermittent artillery fire.

A Bailey Bridge installed by 310th Engineers to span a portion of a blown bridge.

RepairedBaileyBridge.jpg

I should have more photos of Lt. Lewis' company that I will post on his biography page that I'm building.

Steve

Messages In This Thread
Lt Stancy Lewis - by Custermen - 07-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Lt Stancy Lewis - by Custermen - 08-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Lt Stancy Lewis - by Walt's Daughter - 08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Lt Stancy Lewis - by rtmxrandy - 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Lt Stancy Lewis - by Walt's Daughter - 06-18-2007, 11:13 AM