Hampton Roads Point of Embarkation

I have been meaning to mention these books for some time but it has always slipped my mind. Last Winter I found a two-volume hardback set of books that was published in 1946, entiitled "The Road To Victory", edited by Maj. W. R. Wheeler. These books (still like new) chronicle the tremendous task of shipping out hundreds of thousands of US troops and millions of tons of equipment through the Hampton Roads Port during WWII. There are over 400 photos, plus maps and illustrations. Since then I have been wondering how many of you wonderful Vets here caught your last glimpse of the good ol' USA from this place, and also (perhaps) were greeted here when your ship arrived home?

The pictures are truly wonderful and candid shots which I know would bring back memories to many of you..and I will try to publish one here every now and then. These are scenes of everything from being assigned to your overcrowded sleeping quarters, to famous folks like General Patton on his way to Italy. One that sticks out in my memory is a photo of a pocket bible with a bullet hole about halfway through it...a life saving souvenier of Anzio for one GI.

I would love to hear your stories of Hampton Roads. ;)

:drinkin:

:woof:

post-5-1151859976_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 604.94 KB / Downloads: 0)

400 photos! Wowzer!

Here's a photo from the book (pardon my scan) of Capt. Clinton S. Brown, stepson of General George C. Marshall as he sails off with the 191rst Engineers...

:woof:

post-26-1155590455_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 343.18 KB / Downloads: 0)

Super "find" there. I would be proud to add that to my collection too. You have a real treasure. Hope someone jumps in and adds some real life stories.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

a photo from the book of Capt. Clinton S. Brown, stepson of General George C. Marshall as he sails off with the 191rst Engineers...

Okay. I'm going nuts here. I know somewhere on my website I mention General Marshall's stepson who was Killed in Action in Italy. He was standing in the turrent of a tank when he was shot by a sniper. His name was BROWN but not sure if this was the same man.

Help! Where did I put that. I had it with a list of "famous personalities" who served in Italy.

Steve :angry:

Here's a picture of 3 Sports Celebrities heading for combat. They are (left to right) Fred Corcoran, secretary of the Professional Golfer's Association; Jack Sharkey, former Heavyweight Boxing Champion; and Vernon "Lefty" Gomez, star pitcher for the N.Y. Yankees. With the notable and honorable exception of Pat Tilman...can you imagine any of today's "stars" doing this??? Hey "T.O." how 'bout it? ;)

:woof: Daddy

post-26-1155665650_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG.jpg (Size: 321.26 KB / Downloads: 0)

can you imagine any of today's "stars" doing this?

That's fer sure!!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I would be very interested in obtaining copies of this two volume work. As a WW2 researcher it sounds like good material. Is there a publisher listed or any other information? In the meantime I will do a search using the title.

Colin.

:tank:

Hi Colin,

The books say only "Copyright 1946 Yale University Press." I found them while nosing around an old book & record store.

:woof: Jim