Churchill's V2 Worries...

Learn something new everyday dept.... I heard for the first time (on History Channel) recently that so great were Britain's fears about the potential of the V2 that Sir Winston lobbied Truman to use an Atomic bomb on Germany. This of course was before the first bomb was even dropped on Hiroshima. Glad it didn't come to that, although the total damage from our day/night bombing raids probably far exceeded the damage of one A-bomb. Besides that, as fanatical as Hitler was about taking the German people down with him, he would never have surrendered anyway....

Jim :woof:

As far as I can tell, the Atom Bomb wasnt ready for dropping during the fighting in

Germany. Also, unless used in centrall Germany it would probably be a threat to

other countries nearby from fallout. It was a long time from "testing" till we had a couple "packaged" for air drop.. By the end of '44 the wars end was in little doubt

in Europe. However Japan was another matter entirely.

As far as I can tell, the Atom Bomb wasnt ready for dropping during the fighting in

Germany. Also, unless used in centrall Germany it would probably be a threat to

other countries nearby from fallout. It was a long time from "testing" till we had a couple "packaged" for air drop.. By the end of '44 the wars end was in little doubt

in Europe. However Japan was another matter entirely.

I should have also mentioned that there was not a bomb ready at this time anyway.....Thanks! ;)

Jim

In the thread about "Where are our members" the other day(maybe yesterday) Marion mentioned Winston Churchill in a reply. Every time I hear his name I think about his "But If We Fail" speech, which to me is the most inspirational and powerful speech (that I'm aware of) given by any world leader during WWII, and perhaps any war. Do you know the one I'm talking about? He speaks of the world "sinking into the abyss " if Britain (who stood alone at the time) failed to stop Hitler. I guess what is so great about this speech is that it got right down to the urgency of the issue and left no doubt about what failure would mean...and this meant the USA too.

Wasnt that his "Finest Hour" speech?

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/britain/britain.html

That NEVER fails to stir me or give me goosebumps. Even if I read the words, I can ALWAYS hear his trembling voice in my head, as though he were standing here speaking directly to me.

What an orator!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Larry's right about this being W.C.'s "Finest Hour" speech. I often get them mixed up, but certain parts of all his speeches are etched into my psyche and that's why..they're all very powerful and moving, and M1..I get the same feeling you mentioned every time I hear that speech. I was watching an episode of The World at War last night...the one called "Alone', which picks up right at the Dunkirk evacuation and the sorry state of Britain's army after having to abandon all their tanks and other armored vehicles. They prepared for the imminent invasion by Germany with what was left of their infantry (mainly small arms) and the Home Guard. Without the words of a defiant leader like Churchill to inspire them, the outcome might have been very different. I've never quite been able to understand why Churchill lost the post war election.