Research informations about 131st FA

The division participated in maneuvers in Louisiana during the summer of 1941. After the Thirty-sixth returned from the war games, the army alerted the Second Battalion, 131st Field Artillery, for assignment.

Thanks Marion. I'm familiar with that history through the Louisiana Maneuvers but had never heard about the 131st FA being selected for duty in the Pacific. It didn't make any sense that an artillery unit would have been selected without any mention of infantry. Also, your info says that they stayed behind when the other military forces evacuated.

Note that it says that "Second Battalion" was seelcted. Prior to the Army Re-org, the infantry divisions were larger and their artillery units were identified as Regiments. Each regiment consisted of two battalions of 4 Batteries each.

After the Re-org, the division contained 3 (and later 4) FA Battalions, consisting of three Batteries.

Interesting connection to the history of "Burma-Siam Death Railway"----aka Bridge over River Kwai.

Steve

DUI_131FA36Div.jpg

131st Field Artillery Battalion

"We Play the Game"

All three of us learned something new today. That's always fun and interesting.

I just love the pin. Really sharp looking isn't it? :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Yeah. Really cool and quite shiny but it is still probably a WW2 issue. It is the usual shield design but has those peculiar points at the top. This might have been one that I bought accidentally and it turned out to be one that I really wanted. Now, I will know some more history to tell about it. I bought one with the motto "The Rock" thinking it was part of the 3rd Division and it wasn't---at least not during WW2 period.

My brother worked with radars in the USAF and he did 2 tours of Viet Nam. He was stationed at a radar site in Thailand along the Mekong river. He wasn't very far from the Bridge on the River Kwai. And he now lives in Texas, which is big on the 36th Division. I plan to tell him about the history we found.

Steve

Excellent! That is what I love about this forum. The great exchange of knowledge. The best part it that is usually takes several of us to piece the puzzle together and we all wind up benefitting from everything we learn along the way.

In two years I have amassed so much knowledge. Sometimes it just blows me away... :pdt20:

Marion J Chard

Hi, Marion and Steve,

You are wonderfull, thanks a lot for all informations. I'm going to work with your links and infos. It's incredible, you know every things about your millitary history. I find it's cool to don't forget your history

Steve, you site is very nice and complet. There is a lot of precious informations on it.

Again Marion and Steve, thanks a lot for your precious help.

A bientot, Gerome :pdt34:

Yes the pin of the 131st is very nice. I try to collect pins and patchs of the unit of the 36th, but I must say it's difficult to find patch in France.

Would you like a patch of the 36th Inf Div Gerome? Send me your address and I will get one for you. It's my present to you.

Marion J Chard
:rolleyes: When The 36th (Texas Division) was "triangularized" in 1942, early, The 131st FA Bn (Howitzers) was sent to Washington State along with the 144 Inf. Regiment. They were Pacific bound from the start. I was in the 111 Engrs at the time. The personnel from the Bn. were from the small towns of Bridgeport, Decatur, Chico & Jacksboro Texas. (Just north & west of Fort Worth) During my high school days I competed against many of the fellows that were lost & some that eventually came home. AL Kincer

Hi Marion,

It's an pleasure to receive an patch of the 36th. Merci beaucoup, c'est tres gentil.

If you need something, ask me.

Gerome -o-

I have forgot my address :

Gerome Villain

232 le rond champ

88600 BEAUMENIL

FRANCE

M Kincer,

Thanks to help me in my request. It's nice of your part. You was in the 111th Eng,

and it was this nice unit whose maked a road in the forest of Biffontaine to can rescue the lost Bn. Do you remember it ? Could you relate us your story ?

Again thanks a lot,

Amicalement, Gerome