Captured Flag 334th Inf. 84th Div.

I have received a German ID flag that was brought back from WWII. The owner recently passed away and his name is on this flag. All I can tell you is the flag was captured by a member of the 84th Division 334th Infantry 1st Platoon Anti-Tank. I'm not sure where it was picked up at, but I do know it's real. It has an area about 10 inches long and about 1 and half inches wide where it looks like something burning fell on it and burnt a few small holes and scorched some of the red where it had folded. Outside of a few stains and age it looks good. It has the names of the men and their hometown around the white center circle of the flag in ink. If anyone knows a name or you can supply any more information I would love to hear it.

The list of names that may be correctly spelled:

Antonio Avillegas.......Globe AZ.

Clarence Plante......Minneapolis, Minn

Robert Burch........Newark, N.J.

Richard M. Kaskamen........Rock Island, Ill.

Girla (not sure of correct spelling)..San Antonio, Texas

Stephen Hay.....North Andover, Mass.

William Ivler......New York, N.Y.

Wally Roen.......Crestwood, N.Y.

David Mahaffy....Tarboro, N.C.

Ehsley L. Moore.....Danville, Virginia

Leroy Harris......Atlanta, Georgia

Huel Richards......Opelousas, La.

Robert Notson......Chicago, Ill.

Edward Monalany.....Chicago, Ill.

Ernest Haase.....Clifton, N.J

Carl Palm.....Brooklyn, N.Y.

Geroge Hilderbrand......Gastonia, N.C.

Gary Dempsey.......Lamar, Missouri

Alan H. Nelson....Vandergrift, Penn.

Sam R. Galbreath.....Yankton, S.D.

Rowlon Carr........Sulphur, Ok.

Evarett Gilbert......Hickory, N.C.

Crump.......Waco, Texas

George Wear.......Westville, Ill.

Lee Solmon.......Brooklyn, N.Y.

Bill T. Frazier.....Fort Smith, Arkansas

Earl E. Metz......Chico, California

Gilbert.....Brooklyn, N.Y.

James T. Wilkerson.....Rogers, Arkansas

post-11-1148142557_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Chloe001.JPG (Size: 43.66 KB / Downloads: 0)

Welcome Six-Gun! :pdt20: What a great first post to start out with. :pdt34: Glad you were able to post the image here. Who knows, maybe someone will stumble upon a name they recognize. Happy that you placed all the name here for all to see.

Happy hunting...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hello six-gun,

That's quite a nice trophy! You can't beat an item with names and unit numbers for really giving it that "feel" of history. :pdt34:

Jim

Thank you for your kind comments. I received the flag from Bill T. Frazier who has passed away. I was told he had been slightly wounded in WW II after a fight with German Panzers, possibly in the Battle of the Bulge or the Roen river crossing.

I noticed a couple of things about the names printed on the flag that shows the closeness of the men who fought together. First, that some have their address, so they could keep in contact with each other. Second, not a single one placed his rank with his name, to show there was any difference between them. It must have been a true "Band of Brothers."

Hello Sixgun,

I just happened across this and was amazed to see the posting. James T. Wilkerson is my father. He is deceased now, but I well remember him talking about Bill Frazier, since Bill was an Arkansas guy, too. Is the flag in Arkansas? I currently live in Little Rock and I would love to have a close up picture. Thanks for posting this piece of American history.

Wilkie

Hey Wilkie:

Nice talking with you via email the other day. Glad to see your post. This is very cool.

I don't know when the last time Sixgun visited the site, but I also sent him a PM and told him you were trying to reach him. Hopefully we will hear from him soon.

Welcome, Marion

Marion J Chard

Thanks, Marion! Perhaps I will receive a reply in the near future. my dad was almost 85 when he died a few years back and I never heard him speak of this "flag capturing event'. Sure wish I could ask him about it!

Wilkie

Oh how I KNOW that feeling. I can't tell you how many times I wish dad was sitting right here so I could ask him a million questions. So many of us are in the same boat. But, we all have each other and it is a great comfort to help one another and share what we DO know.

It would make our dads proud!

Marion J Chard

Oh how I KNOW that feeling. I can't tell you how many times I wish dad was sitting right here so I could ask him a million questions. So many of us are in the same boat. But, we all have each other and it is a great comfort to help one another and share what we DO know.

It would make our dads proud!

Still lookin for Sixgun. If anybody's seen or heard of him, please send me an email.

Thanks, Wilkie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This Day in History - Flag Raising CaptO 0 2,146 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  American flag on shoulder? Walt's Daughter 0 1,995 01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Iwo Jima the first flag raising sixgun 3 4,121 10-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Don Burgett folds flag Walt's Daughter 3 3,864 06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Last Post: rennog