Engineer School Crest

Sent to me by Al Kincer.

Marion ...This is Crest of Engineer School Regiment. I have Mech & Tech some where will send when I find it.

post-6-1147437014_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Engineer_Center_Crest.jpg (Size: 39.3 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion,

This may be a dumb question but was this Crest specific to any one Regiment or Division? Or was it for all Engineers?

The mechanical or technical..... was that sort of like a speciality? I ask these questions wondering if my Uncle George might have had one. He was a T/5 when he died.

Parker

Al:

Care to jump in here? :D

Marion J Chard

This may be a dumb question but was this Crest specific to any one Regiment or Division? Or was it for all Engineers?

No Q is too dumb.

I'm almost sure this was a DUI pin for a school. The Artillery had a similar pin for their basic school and also the Air Force. Once the student graduated, he would then be assigned to a specific unit.

Now the question is: would this pin be worn only by the staff of the school or would it be worn by the engineers who attended it. Most soldiers going through training would have a generic shoulder patch on their uniform. Ones going through Officer Candidate School would wear an "OCS" patch on their right sleeve. I don't think the students would wear this DUI pin; probably only the staff.

Steve

I do appreciate your insight and comments about the pin. Perhaps you could enlighten me on some other questions.

In talking to my Mom about her brother George she told me that after Pearl Harbor a friend of his was going to "take the Engineers test" because that was what he thought he wanted to do. So my Uncle decided he would too and Mom (who was in high school) loaned him her math books so he could bone up before taking the test. As it turned out my Uncle was accepted and his friend was not. I suppose his basic and school was done at Ft. Leonard Wood Mo. As I understand it after school he was a part of the 341st Engineers Gen Serv. Regiment.

These questions are for the enlisted engineers:

1. Do you know of any special test for Engineer Candidates or was it just a standard Army entrance exam that determined if they were a candidate for Engineer School or just how did that work?

2. Your page made reference to a technical / mechanical pin. I understand that was probably for the Officer Corps. But were the enlisted given general engineering or were they given any speciality training such as heavy equipment/bridge building/mechanics etc. while at Ft. Leonard Wood?

Any light you could shed will be of a big help in me understanding more about my Uncle. My Mom tries but she doesn't really know.

Thanks, Parker

:banghead:In my day, I retired in 62, The Engineer Center had two regiments. The School Regiment & the Mech & Tech regiment. The School regiment was made up of the instructors, students, & other personnel that had to do with teaching the people assigned there for instructional purposes. AS much, much of the teaching had to do with heavy equipment it took what amounted to a regiment size group to provide & maintain all that equipment. Each regiment had it's own Colonel to command it. The Center was & is commanded by a Major General. He is not The Chief Of Engineers. The Engineer Center is now located at Ft. Leonard Wood. The Chief Of Engineers A Lt. Gen is(was) located at Graverly Point, Washington D.C. I sent Marion a crest that represents The Corps of Engineers. Perhaps she can scan it. I was an OCS graduate, 8th class 42. The questions they asked me only touched engineering topics. It helped if one had a background of engineering. I will try to find my Mech & Tech crest & scan it as soon as possible. I think there were other questions & comments but the slip my mind now. I will answer them soon. AL

Here's more from Al...

The first one is Mech & Tech

post-6-1147478108_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Mech___Tech_Regiment.jpg (Size: 34.96 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

This one - 111 Engrs, 36 Inf Div

post-6-1147478157_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   111Engr._36_Inf_Div.jpg (Size: 39.62 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Crest for THE CORPS OF ENGRS

post-6-1147478192_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Corps_of_Engineer_Crest.jpg (Size: 26.52 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
:banghead: Suppose you are an instructor at the Engr. School. The Eng. School Regimental Crest would be worn on the shoulders & The Engineer Crest over the right pocket. AL