Colmar Pocket - Russ Cloer

Just before the shelling, I had been sitting at the table writing a letter by candlelight. Sergeant Duprey was at the cellar door dealing with some problem with the owner of the house who had come up the stairs with a request or a complaint. I got up and went over to the cellar door to find out what the problem was. When the first shell burst, a large shell fragment came through the top of the wooden shutter, smashed the glass lighting fixture over the table, left a hole in the back of the leather chair in which I had been sitting and lodged in the wall behind the chair. Had I not moved, it would have killed me.

Holy s--t. Bet he still gets goosebumps over that one. When death comes that damned close...

I had two men assigned to each Battalion CP to evacuate POWs. During the fighting for Beisheim, "Ike" Clanton and another of my men assigned to 1st Battalion, headed for the rear in total darkness with twelve German POWs under guard. They were ambushed by a German patrol and were captured. The Krauts then sent them to the German rear under guard by two of the former POWs. While en route, they were ambushed by an American patrol from the 1st Battalion and the guards again became POWs and vice-versa. This time they arrived without incident. It was wild!

Goes to show just how quickly the situation can turn during battle. One minute you're the guards, the next minute your the prisoner. Wild indeed!

Will have to add this story to Russ' page this evening. Superb writing. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Colmar Pocket - Russ Cloer - by j3rdinf - 12-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Colmar Pocket - Russ Cloer - by Walt's Daughter - 12-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Colmar Pocket - Russ Cloer - by Walt's Daughter - 12-07-2005, 09:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  letter from Russ W Walt's Daughter 4 7,011 09-29-2005, 09:04 PM