GREATEST GENERATION

Paul I can understand that you may not want to accept the platitudes that come your way, but please understand how some of other generations feel and those of your generation too.

While the compliments that flow your way may not be acceptable to you, it's merely our way to express gratititude for a job well done. It is not merely to express thanks for the war effort, but an expression of thanks and appreciation for AN ATTITUDE of a generation long past. It cannot be repeated.

I think the long and short of it is this; your generation went through so much. They grew up in a depression era. Grew up understanding what a BUCK was. Grew up not taking things for granted.

This by no means diminishes the accomplishments of those who stepped in their footsteps. It by no means takes anything away for those who gave their best and/or died in the wars that followed. All efforts are equal. None can take away from that.

The point is that some generations have a better insight, a better appreciation for life. Some generations are more thankful for the little things in life. I am sorry, but while there are those who always remain grateful and thankful and would give their lives for their cause and beliefs even in this day and age, most folks of the succeeding generations are just too friggin' ungrateful. They always want more, expect more and haven't been weened on the same principles. It seems to me that too many just want, want, want and EXPECT nowadays without a thought to what they can give back. The prevailing attitude of late is "What can you give me?" It's becoming a sickening permutation.

So we just like to come back to a generation whom we thought appreciated life for what it was and not for what it could give. In that respect we pay homage.

Just my words after a couple of beers today. I'm not Plato, but I hope I have illuminated a feeling.

Hugs to those before me. M

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
GREATEST GENERATION - by Cadetat6 - 12-05-2005, 01:12 PM
GREATEST GENERATION - by j3rdinf - 12-07-2005, 09:08 PM
GREATEST GENERATION - by Cadetat6 - 12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
GREATEST GENERATION - by Walt's Daughter - 12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
GREATEST GENERATION - by chambers - 12-08-2005, 08:09 PM
GREATEST GENERATION - by Walt's Daughter - 12-08-2005, 08:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greatest Generation: WWII Veterans Set Sail To Share Stories With The World lsedels 0 1,948 07-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: lsedels
  A Generation's Moment Walt's Daughter 5 5,329 10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  SECOND GENERATION Cadetat6 1 3,109 09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Passing of a Generation James Pickering 2 67,091 05-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Cadetat6