A Ramble through My War

My friend Vito also sent me this info regarding another book by the same author (see previous post under this book section).

A Ramble through My War - Anzio and Other Joys

by Charles F. Marshall

-------------

Charles Marshall, a Columbia University graduate and ardent opponent of U.S. entry into World War II, was assigned in 1943 to army intelligence on the sheer happenstance that he was fluent in German. On many occasions to come, Marshall would marvel that so fortuitous an edge spared him from infantry combat—and led him into the most important chapter of his life. In A Ramble through My War, he records that passage, drawing from an extensive daily diary he kept clandestinely at the time.

Sent to Italy in 1944, Marshall participated in the vicious battle of the Anzio beachhead and in the Allied advance into Rome and other areas of Italy. He assisted the invasion of southern France and the push through Alsace, across the Rhine, and through the heart of Germany into Austria. His responsibilities were to examine captured documents and maps, check translations, interrogate prisoners, and become an expert on German guns and equipment—and, when his talent for light, humorous writing became known, to contribute a daily column to the Beachhead News.

The nature of intelligence work proved tedious yet engrossing, and even exhilarating at times. Marshall interviewed Field Marshal Erwin Rommel’s widow at length and took possession of the general’s personal papers, ultimately breaking the story of the legendary commander's murder. He had many conversations with high-ranking German officers—including Field Marshals von Weichs, von Leeb, and List. General Hans Speidel, Rommel’s chief of staff in Normandy, proved a fount of information.

Marshall’s chronicle unfolds all of these events, capturing the mounting tension and every variety of detail. Perhaps most moving is the author’s gradual realization of concentration camp conditions, first through reports and photographs and finally in a personal visit to Dachau. “The overwhelming evidence of what transpired . . . inoculated me forever against charges . . . no Holocaust had ever occurred,†he writes. Understandably May 8, 1945, seemed anticlimactic. Marshall stayed in Germany for another year after the war, supervising the screening of many thousands of POWs and refugees for discharge or arrest.

With powerful authenticity, Marshall’s memoir brings the experiences and mind of the twenty-eight-year-old junior officer sharply to life while also bearing the sage perspective of a man now in his eighth decade of life.

Praise for the book

“A fluent German speaker, Marshall was assigned to the intelligence section of the U.S. Army's Sixth Corps. He wound up in the hellhole of Anzio, entered liberated Rome, took part in the August 1944 invasion of southern France, and followed the advance through Alsace and across the Rhine into Germany. Throughout it all, Marshall kept the clandestine diary that forms the basis of this book. Marshall’s task was to assess captured German documents; often, his detachment actively explored liberated villages and towns, searching for papers that would shed light on the German army. His men also interrogated prisoners of war and integrated all their information into daily reports. . . . Conversations with generals, descriptions of concentration camps, and vignettes of soldiers and civilians [all] figure into this engrossing, perceptive memoir.â€

—Publishers Weekly

“A splendid memoir salted with humor, insight, and meditative wisdom. It belongs on the small shelf of WW II chronicles that make the reader feel ‘you are there.’â€

—John E. Dolibois, author of Pattern of Circles: An Ambassador’s Story

“A significant contribution to the literature on World War II. . . . I know of no published work that matches in intimacy and apparent reliability this account of such activities.â€

—Charles P. Roland, author of Courage Under Seige: Starvation, Disease, and Death in the Warsaw Ghetto

Charles F. Marshall was born in Hoboken, New Jersey, in 1915. He is a graduate of Columbia University, the U.S. Army’s Armored Force Officer Candidate School, and its Military Intelligence School. He served in the army from 1942 to 1946, attaining the rank of captain. In 1994 he published the widely acclaimed book Discovering the Rommel Murder: The Life and Death of the Desert Fox. He lives in Holtsville, New York.

--------------------

This book can also be obtained through bookstores or send away for a signed, first edition copy from the author. $29.95 (includes shipping and handling):

Charles F Marshall

5 Laurel Lane

Holtsville, NY 11742

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
A Ramble through My War - by Walt's Daughter - 10-14-2005, 12:44 PM