Daniel F. Gallagher - 540th CE

Received this last night. Yeah, another contact!

----------------

Hi, my name is Joseph M. Pennachio. I recently came across your website about the 540th combat engineers of which my grandfather, Daniel F. Gallagher was a member of. About 10 years ago when I was 18 my mother bestowed upon me letters that she had kept hidden from my grandfather for years. He had passed before I was born, and these letters at the time, along with a few pictures, formed the only knowledge I had of my grandfather. I must have over 100 letters, dated from very early 1942 when he was in training until late 1945. After I recieved these letters I went on a search to find more information, at the time, little was available. I did however come across a copy of 'Overseas with the 540th combat engineers.' At $110 dollars it seemed like an awful lot for an 18 year old to spend on a book out of print for 50 years at the time. I bought it anyway and when it arrived I was completely and utterly blown away when I discovered on or about the 19th page that you scanned onto your website, showing pictures of engineers in Italy clearing mines, a picture on the lower right hand side of the page. My grandfather, Daniel F. Gallagher, holding a 'booby trapped' mine, complete with his bandaged hand. I have nearly this exact picture in my own possesion. Since then I can find very little info about where exactly he served and what he did. I have much more information to read about on your website but I wanted to let you know you are not alone in your search for more information. I will send you copies of my pictures once I retreive them from my safe and scan them into my computer. I havent even begun to scan letters yet. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for what you are doing , far too many people forget what has been lost and what has been given by one amazing generation of men and women.

Still searching,

Joseph M. Pennachio

post-6-1128264904_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DanielGallagher.jpg (Size: 47.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Daniel F. Gallagher - 540th CE - by Walt's Daughter - 10-02-2005, 11:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daniel Bunn - Iceland and Normandy Walt's Daughter 5 9,442 02-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter