Relevant Quotations - WWII

SomeRelevantQuotations: “Old soldiers dream of old battles because, with the sliding of years, memory of terror fades and what remains is the fond recollection of intensified life, of moments so electric, so bursting that everything after is thin porridge.â€

Lawrence Sanders

“Some men go skimming over the years of existence to sink gently into a placid grave, ignorant of life to the last, without ever having been made to see all it may contain of perfidy, of violence, and of terror. Joseph Conrad

“I answered the call as I heard it" Nelson Bryant

“There is no greater feeling of exhilaration for a young man than to be shot at - to no result.â€

Winston Churchill

“The whole affair has the strong odor of Gallipoli - and we have the same coach on the bench.â€

(About the Anzio Beachhead. Reference is to Winston Churchill)

“There are not enough Huns anywhere to drive us off this beach.â€

Lt. Gen. John Lucas

“It was an introduction to adult life marked by outrunning death every day. It was the most selfless work I ever did. The experience was dreadful, sobering and maturing, but when you survived it, it was elevating.â€

Unknown

“As a result of my wartime experiences, I have always felt that I was living on time which I’d been given. What all of us have come to realize is that that really was the climax of our lives.â€

Unknown

“There is no loneliness to equal that of an Infantry soldier in a foreign country in wartime, separated from his home and loved ones by a continent and an ocean, with no hope of returning soon, if ever.†Russell W.Cloer

Messages In This Thread
Relevant Quotations - WWII - by 3_7_I_Recon - 08-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Relevant Quotations - WWII - by Walt's Daughter - 08-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Relevant Quotations - WWII - by Custermen - 09-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Relevant Quotations - WWII - by Walt's Daughter - 09-08-2005, 08:57 PM