387th Engineer Battalion in Italy

Depicted here is another project assigned to the 387th ENG Bn while in Italy.

Shortly after the liberation of Rome in early JUN 1944, the 387th ENG Bn was relieved of its attachment to the 540th ENG Combat Regt and attached to the 92nd ENG Regt (G.S.). Under operational control of 92nd ENG Regt, the 387th had a variety of assigned projects, but its primary task was the maintenance of the two main roads leading from Anzio to Rome. On 19 JUN, the 387th was relieved of its attachment to the 92nd ENG Regt and sent north to Civitavecchia (the vaunted Port of Rome) there to take over engineering work on the port from the 540th ENG Combat Regt.

In late JUN 1944, south of the Civitavecchia port along the coastal road (today Strada Statale 1, known as SS1), Company D installed the battalion's first Bailey Bridge, a 140 foot triple-single Bailey. The photograph above, while published in "Engineer History - Fifth Army - Mediterranean Theater", is actually a scan of an original print in my collection. The photo depicts men of Company D launching the span across a railway cut. In the foreground is a classic D7 Dozer, actually a crawler tractor with attached blade made by Caterpillar. At the far left of frame, obscured by a tree, a D4 Dozer can be seen with operator in place waiting to assist.

I have researched the modern location where this bridge was installed and I am 90% certain I have identified the spot. However, I am not ready to post a current photo until I have eliminated all other possibilities. The location today is going to appear dramatically different, so I am not expecting the infallible 'Before and After' likeness as in my post above. What I do know is that the bridge did not serve as a primary route because SS1 in that area was already in traffic-worthy shape when the 387th ENG Bn arrived in Civitavecchia. "Engineer  History - Fifth Army - Mediterranean Theater" does offer some clues, suggesting the bridge approach was off the main highway and that several houses had to be demolished to prepare the way. Going back to pre-WWII, the rail lines in this area run closely parallel to the main coast road (SS1) which runs almost perfectly north-south at this point. The bridge, I believe, services a lateral road used to connect the main highway with a convenient storage depot located on the inland side of the rail line (notice what appears to be an Army Motor Pool in the background within the walled yard). The area of the demolished buildings is in the immediate foreground, and the photographer (who is facing almost due east) has his back is to Tyrrhenian Sea.

Messages In This Thread
387th Engineer Battalion in Italy - by FSavage - 03-24-2022, 06:59 PM
RE: 387th Engineer Battalion in Italy - by FSavage - 03-25-2022, 07:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photo of 34th Monument - Italy - 2010 Walt's Daughter 0 3,431 08-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Found!!!! Picture of my Father in Italy `44 Wendy 5 7,472 06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  This Day in History - Italy March 12, 1944 Walt's Daughter 3 6,379 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
  Cassino, Italy Walt's Daughter 16 15,885 09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
  Vet recalls intense fighting in Italy Walt's Daughter 56 51,966 05-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Last Post: WATSON
  The 88th in Italy Walt's Daughter 1 4,013 04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Custermen