WWII Soldier's Pay (with responses from the vets themselves)

Jim Zuidema - 65th Infantry Division

Hi Marion.....Well, as for me, I got paid once a month. During combat, not in cash usually, it just built up. After the war, I was put on a desk, they found out I could type, good and fast. After all, I had just gotten out of school when I went into the Army. I was a typist for General Brock, 65th Arty, then battery clerk, then personal sgt and then to Vienna where I was head of General Mark Clark's office. I personally didn't gamble or drink, so I spent most of my money sending it home. I use to sell my cigarettes to "live" on. I made up the payrolls and kept the records, so I never entered any of my "vacations"......every time I got to a new outfit, they looked at my records and asked me where I wanted to go and when. Saw a lot of Europe that way. I know that Privates at that time were getting $50 a month. I remember because just before going overseas, I spent my entire pay and a little extra, very little, on a diamond ring to send to my Theresa. Lasted 64 years. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

God bless, JIM

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
WWII Soldier's Pay (with responses from the vets themselves) - by Walt's Daughter - 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vets! Want to be interviewed? Walt's Daughter 0 145,021 08-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter