Prayers for those on the east coast

So since I am going to this school in Quantico, I have been able to be around for the multiple plagues so far. (Rain is just starting to fall here south of DC.) Then once I get home to Albany, I'll get to have the swarm of gnats!! Actually, Vicki told me yesterday that the highs have been over a hundred still in Albany over the last few days. Sort of glad I'm here in the Hurricane!

So let me tell you about the earthquake. Having grown up in Dallas and having spent most of my service time in North Carolina, I have never been in an Earthquake. I was in an exterior room in the Communications School building when I heard and felt the earth slightly rumbling. It was the same feeling one gets when a large vehicle, like a tank, is rumbling closely by. I was standing there thinking what kind of vehicle could be that heavy and still fit through the small road out front when the ground started to shake about 6 or more inches side to side. I was actually thinking, "Holy crap! This is an Earthquake! This is kind of cool!" In about the time it took to think this, it was over. The reason I thought it was cool was the fact that I was in the lower floor of a squat, conrete, 2 story building. One of my captains was up here for a temporary trip and was, at that moment, on the 3 floor of a 6 story hotel. He did not think it was very cool at all and high-tailed it out of the building!

Ironically, there was a hurricane here the last time I was here for comm school - Isabel.

220px-Hurricane_Isabel_18_sept_2003_1555Z.jpg

I was lucky that I only was without electricity for 3 days. Others inland were without for more than a week. Keeping my fingers crossed for this time! These rooms aren't designed to be comfortable without electricity!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Messages In This Thread
Prayers for those on the east coast - by Dogdaddy - 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Prayers for those on the east coast - by CaptO - 08-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Prayers for those on the east coast - by CaptO - 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM