Advice from Marion

Over the years I have received many wonderful contributions from people, including photographs from the war. After working with various documents and images, I'd like to offer some advice...

1. If you don't have a scanner and choose to make copies of old photos/documents with your digital camera, please remember to TURN-OFF the TIME-STAMP. There's nothing worse than WWII photographs with big red dates stamped across them. Also many times the stamp winds up right on top of text, making it very hard to read.

I can airbrush the date OUT, but many times the placement doesn't lend itself to this method. Plus it makes a lot more work for me. :blush:

2. When scanning images/documents, make sure to change the resolution/size to a higher setting. I often receive scans which are very difficult to read/view because of their small size. If you can't read it at 100 percent zoom, then neither can anyone else. The more detail, the better! For photos and other images, 600 DPI or above is great. Many thanks to Professor David Ulbrich for that suggestion.

I can easily down-size a scan, so don't worry about that, but it's difficult or impossible to get "more" out of an image, which was scanned at a very low resolution.

Thanks for listening. :waving:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Advice from Marion - by Walt's Daughter - 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Advice from Marion - by CaptO - 06-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Advice from Marion - by Walt's Daughter - 06-23-2011, 06:35 PM