Wanting to know about my dads service while in europe

Jack Keane has sent me the part of the 67th`s war diary for the time frame we are looking at. He did not find any mention of Clayton`s name in the diary.

"Here’s what I’ve found from the 67th War Diary."

"On 7 December 1941 the unit received orders to move to Mitchell Field, NY. They departed Fort Bragg on 9 December and arrived at Mitchell Field on 12 December. On 16 December the entire unit was ordered to Paterson, NJ where they were ordered to protect the Wright Aeronautical factories.

During January and February 1942 the gun and automatic weapons batteries conducted firing practice at Fort Hancock, NJ. During May 1942 the permanent station of the regiment was changed from Fort Bragg, NC to Paterson, NJ.

“At this time a drastic change in the organization of the antiaircraft regiment provided the 67th CA (AA) with a third battalion. This battalion was composed of a headquarters and headquarters battery and two light batteries. In company with this change in organization, old “A” battery became another gun battery commanded by Capt. Chalmers H. Armstrong, Jr. Thus the organization of the regiment became that of a headquarters and headquarters battery and three battalions each armed with a different characteristic weapon or weapons.”

Between 31 October and 2 November, the 67th moved by battalion and battery serials to the military reservation on Sandy Hook, NJ, Fort Hancock. Immediately after arrival the regiment, the 67th was divided into two sections, the 1st and 2nd battalions at Fort Hancock, NJ and the 3rd battalion at Teaneck Armory, Teaneck, NJ. On 17 Nov 1942, the 67th was ordered to A.P. Hill Military Reservation, Fredericksburg, VA. They departed on 18 Nov and arrived on 20 Nov.

In the middle of December, all the standard trucks of the 1st and 2nd battalions were turned in to the 3rd Service Command at Richmond, VA or to the 74th CA (AA) at A.P. Hill. On 26 December 1942 all heavy guns and power plants left A.P. Hill by motor convoy. The regiment, less the 3rd battalion, arrived at the staging area on 28 December. The advanced party for embarkation left the staging area on 9 January 1943. The regiment embarked on 14 January 1943 and arrived at Mers-el-Kebir, French North Africa on 26 January, disembarking the next day."

Jack Keane

SonofaMP,

Out of curiosity why might my dads name appear in a diary that encompasses an entire unit etc. My dad met my mom at a local ice skating rink in Paramus, NJ which is roughly some 5 to 8 miles from Teaneck so it is conceivable that he was in the 3rd batallion per your research facts and stationed at the Teaneck Armory. I also remember clearly he and my mom telling me that when he drove to skating ring on the night they met that he was driving a "Prime Mover" I remember because my mom couldn't get over how big it was. I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner but with father's day and my grandsons staying over I just couldn't.

Regards,

Clay Butler

Messages In This Thread
Wanting to know about my dads service while in europe - by Clay Butler - 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1264th Combat Engineers route through Europe Tom V 2 4,398 07-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter