Americans in Mannheim 1945-2011
Dear friends,

as we gradually conclude 2012 and enter the final phase of the Christmas Season, it is time for another update from Mannheim, Germany. I trust that you are all doing great and find some time for reflection and recreation during these busy pre-Christmas weeks.

The Mannheim book (title most likely: "Memories of Mannheim - Die Amerikaner in der Quadratestadt 1945 - 2012") is finally (Finally!) nearing completion. The publisher is currently busy with layout and coloring problems, but very confident that we will be done in a few weeks' time. In fact, there are plans to officially present the book to the public on 16 March 2013 when the City of Mannheim Archives will be celebrating their Open House called "Day of City History". Next year's event will be headlined "A Piece of America" and will feature Mannheim's American heritage. What better opportunity for presenting the book could you find? Anyway, I'll let you know when the book comes out, probably in late February/early March. After nearly three years of research, typing/retyping and proofreading, I can barely wait to hold the first copy in my hands.

The Mannheim Military Community, in the meantime, has almost completely disappeared. Here's what's currently left:

- the helicopter maintenance facility on Coleman Bks

- the military prison on Coleman Bks

- some 5th Signal Command folks (mostly Germans) on Funari Bks

- some (mostly German) depot activity on both Coleman and Spinelli Bks

There is still a club on Coleman Bks, where the last bank closed just a few days ago. On the whole, there are maybe 120 soldiers left in town, most of them living in nearby Heidelberg. 2013 will see most of Coleman Bks fade away as the activities mentioned above will move to either Ansbach/Illesheim or Kaiserslautern/Sembach. The depot activities may survive into 2014. Next June, the garrison in Heidelberg will also close.

Should you ever plan to return to Mannheim for a visit, please let me know. It would be my pleasure to show you around.

Have a great Christmas and a happy new year 2013, especially good health!

Greetings from Mannheim,

Christian Führer

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Americans in Mannheim 1945-2011 - by Walt's Daughter - 01-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel to the Troops: A Memoir of the 698th Engineer Petroleum Distribution Company 1943-1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,684 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Saturday Evening Post - The War Years, 1941-1945 sixgun 1 4,709 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM
  Deutsche Fertigungskennzeichen bis 1945 Walt's Daughter 1 5,267 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
  The All Americans in World War II Walt's Daughter 0 3,478 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
  Battle of the Bulge 1944 - 1945 DallasYK 2 4,597 07-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Reg from the Bulge