Hello - 608th Engineer Light Equipment Co

My father is a veteran of WWII and I am trying to find out information and get a feel for what he experienced as an engineer, so even if I can't find a great deal of information about his specific unit, I hope to find our more about engineering units through the information posted here.

My father served with the 608 Engineer (LE) Co., which I only recently found out was redesignated at the 455 Engineer Co. after WWII.

My father was discharged in December 1945 and went home and then enlisted in the USAF in December 1947 and served with the Atlas Missile Program. I was born on Fairchild Air Force Base - we were raised with a great sense of respect for our military and a great patriotism. But like many men of my fathers generation and ilk, he did not talk about his war experiences when I was younger. Now he will to a certain degree, we are trying to make up for lost time. About all I know is that he served with the 608th, we even have documents that bear that out, he was Omaha Beach on D-Day and he worked with Patton (not on a one-on-one basis but he was part of a crew that cleared the path that Patton wanted to go). His military records were apparently destroyed in a fire in 1973.

I look forward to reading the other posts. And a personal thanks to all of you who have served our country. I am grateful.

Clementine

Messages In This Thread
Hello - 608th Engineer Light Equipment Co - by Clementine - 12-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  631 Engineer Light Equipment Co rennog 2 154,713 01-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter