'Marion's Boys'..down and playing dirty...

The problem, as I see it, with training during WWII was that all of the top quality guys were shoulder to shoulder to you in the rain, mud, and bullets. Especially in your case, because you left so early in the America's involvement, there weren't a lot of battle tested vets to go around (most of the WWI vets were senior enlisted vice Sgt's and Cpl's, yes?) and we were in a rush to get guys over there. The Marines were fortunate that we had a lot of guys who had experience between the wars, and especially in jungle fighting (Central America, Philippines, China). Aside from the Army presence in the Philippines, I don't think the US Army got out much in the inter war period, as a result of America's isolationism (unfortunately to the Army's detriment.)

During my time in Boot (1995, I know - a young pup!) there weren't many battle vets either. A few had been in the Gulf War but not many. And the ground aspect of that didn't even last very long. Right now, there are a lot of guys who are combat vet Drill Instructors and Drill Sergeants. Hopefully what they are made to instruct are useful TTP's.

And I haven't gotten the book yet, but I got the information from your contact at the association you gave me.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Messages In This Thread
'Marion's Boys'..down and playing dirty... - by CaptO - 07-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Marion's Boy's...' ricklind 0 3,484 04-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Last Post: ricklind
  ' Marions Boys' ricklind 4 6,629 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  'Marions Boys'.. in full voice..... ricklind 2 4,667 06-16-2008, 04:25 AM
Last Post: verow
  Greetings from "Marion's boys" Kemble Uk 2007 ricklind 14 13,881 07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Mailman