A Tommy Dorsey Weekend for Lee and I

This is SOOO cool! I just got a newsletter from the Lexington Theatre, here in Michigan. Lee and I went to see our friend's band there last fall. Great little venue in a very old building which has been restored. Small and intimate with great atmosphere. Anyway, on their 2008 list was this entry:

May

The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra

Sentimental Gentlemen of Swing

http://www.buddymorrowproductions.com/

Saturday, May 3 @ 6:00pm & 8:30pm

In Big Band history, the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra is recognized as one of the best all-around dance bands. It could swing with the best of them, and no other band could come close to Tommy's when it came to playing ballads. Tommy Dorsey, "The Sentimental Gentleman of Swing", was a master at creating warm, sentimental, and always musical moods - at superb dancing and listening tempos. Tommy sustained these moods through the arrangements of the likes of Paul Weston, Axel Stordahl and Sy Oliver, and he showcased singers who could project them brilliantly.

I thought, wow, wouldn't this be a fun weekend trip? Well that's all the convincing I needed, and went to the site and ordered two cabaret tickets for the evening. I contacted my Lee's brother and our sister-in-law, and they are purchasing two tickets this afternoon too. It will be something different to do. We are also booking a nearby (within walking distance) Bed and Breakfast.

Lexington is about two hours from our house and a nice back-road country trip. Here's the link to their site, so you can see how quaint it and the town are.

http://www.lexmtc.com/

We are going to spring it on Lee in a few weeks, when Anne and Mark come over for dinner. :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
A Tommy Dorsey Weekend for Lee and I - by Walt's Daughter - 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
A Tommy Dorsey Weekend for Lee and I - by CaptO - 02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
A Tommy Dorsey Weekend for Lee and I - by CaptO - 02-21-2008, 11:09 PM
A Tommy Dorsey Weekend for Lee and I - by ND-Jim - 05-03-2008, 11:31 AM