"RED ARMY HOLDS NEAR KURSK"

I am a fanatic about reading newspapers and LIFE magazines that were published during WWII, so I was happy to find this newspaper for sale on ebay...at a price I could afford. It tells of the "current Nazi offensive" at Kursk entering it's 4th day. Given the fact that we already know the outcome of this pivotal battle made this article even more prophetic to me. By day four the Germans had lost an estimated 1,843 tanks and 810 planes, and the reporter made the comment that "The Germans may now have involved themselves to the point where they could not extract themselves even if they wanted to." Now THAT to me is PROPHETIC! As we know, Hitler was directing the war himself now and ignoring the advice of his Generals, and both he and Stalin had a policy of "Not One Step Back", despite the huge losses on both sides of men and material. Hitler had grossly underestimated the vast reserves of the Russian Army (as he later admitted in a taped conversation) and now the tide was beginning to turn. When Hitler needed more troops and armour the most, he was forced to send many of his best divisions back to Italy in an attempt to hold back the Allied invasion of Anzio. In less than a year the invasion of Normandy took place, forcing the Germans to fight what could only be considered a delaying action as the borders of The Reich began to crumble. Dang! I get exited when I read old newspapers! :D

Dogdaddy :woof:

Messages In This Thread
"RED ARMY HOLDS NEAR KURSK" - by Dogdaddy - 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM
"RED ARMY HOLDS NEAR KURSK" - by Walt's Daughter - 02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
"RED ARMY HOLDS NEAR KURSK" - by Dogdaddy - 02-07-2008, 09:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The great tank battle of Kursk! Walt's Daughter 0 2,245 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter