A breakthrough in my research on the 1251st

I have been trying to research my fathers unit the 1251st Battalion Combat Engineers for several months now with almost no info. It has been very frustrating to say the least, but about two weeks ago, I posted on a bunch of WWII web sites. After several days, I figured that there was going to be no answer, until Friday AM. A very wonderful person pulled the records at the National Archives and sent me a two paragraph description on the different armies....yes armies they were in. Evidently they were sent wherever they were needed. Kinda like a decent utility infielder being traded from team to team. He never was part of the sixth, but spent time in the 15th,1st,9th, a second time with the 15th and then the 12th corp....They received credit for the Central Europe and Rhineland Campaign.

Heres where my confusion comes in....One of the few places that I could find a listing for the 1251st was on a monument in St Louis listing them at the Battle of the Bulge. One of my uncles said that my father talked about being terrified at the Battle of the Bulge, and yet, he did not reach France until Dec 31st of 44. So, I'm still really confused...How the heck were they in the Ardennes long enough to be listed on a monument....

Oh well, time to dig in and do some more research

Darlene

Messages In This Thread
A breakthrough in my research on the 1251st - by civilwargal - 11-18-2007, 09:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Div - Digital Research now online Walt's Daughter 2 4,109 12-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Update on my research sappered 2 3,828 07-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SonofaMP