26th Infantry On Coastal Patrol 1942-1943

Ny good friend M1! I KNEW you'd be able to relate to my book receipt excitement. When the UPS guy arrived, he probably thought I'd lost my mind because I kept saying: "YAY!!! It's the book!!" and thanking him profusely.

I LOVE detail - especially the specific detail of real people's stories and experiences. This book has alot of that in spades - compiled from many sources including the regimental historians of the 104TH and 181st. Some of the stories are a riot.

Apparently, when the "selectees" arrived on the train to Camp Edwards, they had to walk about a mile to their billets in mud up to their ankles. The area they saw was a bleak wilderness with no trees & there was ice & snow with the wind whipping across the camp flatlands.

A 104th historian wrote: "We left the train and carried our heavy packs the mile to the new barracks through much snow. So this was to be our home: what a desolate place....seemingly a dreary, forlorn, out of the way place."

There was a guy named Bill McCarter who arrived at Edwards after his basic training in Mississippi just after Pearl Harbor, he boarded an Army train "with covered windows and traveled for 2 1/2 days not knowing where he was going." When the train arrived, 6 inches of snow covered the ground & he asked the conductor where he was & was told:"Iceland".

:lol::lol: the conductor was clearly a comedian.

Messages In This Thread
26th Infantry On Coastal Patrol 1942-1943 - by 206thmpco - 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel to the Troops: A Memoir of the 698th Engineer Petroleum Distribution Company 1943-1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,711 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  TIME MAGAZINE SEPTEMBER 1942 afc7883 2 4,323 06-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704